Dear high school seniors, Iowa and Iowa State are BOTH cool

You have at least one friend at the other school

There has always been a major rivalry between the University of Iowa and Iowa State. At the end of the day, both of the schools represent the great state we love – Iowa. While these schools may be different, they are both awesome places to continue your education. There’s no need to fight about it: We’re all lucky to go to school where we do.

Nationally ranked schools

They are two MAJOR universities in the United States, and you get the privilege of choosing one! Both schools have nationally recognized professors, both schools offer a wide range of majors (over 100), and, most importantly, both schools care about your education. You couldn’t go wrong in choosing either of these schools.

Two of my very best friends go to Iowa

Iowa-Iowa State game

Everyone’s favorite weekend of the year is the Iowa-Iowa State football game. It is a chance for friends and family of both allegiances to get together and seriously party. No matter where the game is held, you are sure to have a great time in either city. Both schools have great sports programs: Iowa went to the Rose Bowl this year, and Iowa State was in the Sweet 16. So obviously, either school will offer you a riveting sports atmosphere (and many chances to tailgate).

Classic tailgating pic at the Iowa-Iowa State game in Ames

City versus country

I will say Iowa City and Ames are very different. Ames is smaller and is consumed by the University. Iowa City is a lot bigger and naturally has more of a city feel. The typical stereotype is that Iowa State only has farmers – and since ISU is one of the top Agriculture schools in the nation, this stereotype may hold true to an extent. But there’s no shame in representing this very successful side of Iowa.

Meanwhile, the University of Iowa is said to be a little bit more trendy. This just makes sense because Iowa has one of THE top journalism schools, which is an equally awesome representation of all that Iowa as a whole has to offer. Together, both schools show the world that Iowa – jokingly referred to as a “flyover state” – should not be forgotten about.

These are some awesome friends I made in Iowa City

It’s up to you

It’s a hard decision to choose your home for the next four years. Whichever school you choose, you are sure to have an incredible journey, so choose the school that fits you. And if your best friend decides to go to Iowa and you decide Iowa State, don’t worry: Ames is only an hour-and-a-half drive to Iowa City.

Ultimately, let’s forget the animosity and remember why we chose a school in the best state: Iowa.

Iowa State University