You shouldn’t be afraid of a big lecture class

More seats, more choices for hiding from the prof’s line of sight

Going into my first semester at Iowa State, I was actually afraid of my lectures that had 300 students with only one teacher to share between us all. The stereotype? No extra help, a teacher who doesn’t care, no friends in class, and not being able to focus. But it turns out, my fears were baseless: these giant lectures aren’t as scary as they seem. 

The first day you walk into a room that has about 500 seats, it can be a little intimidating, but think of it this way: that’s 500 options for where you can pop a squat. You can sit in the back of the room if you’re shy and don’t want to be noticed, or you can sit in the front if you want to make aggressive eye contact with the professor and become one of his or her favorite students. Bonus: the classroom is so big that no one will even notice if you “accidentally” oversleep and miss class! 

Another intimidating factor? The thought that you might not know anyone in your lecture. While it can be awkward sitting alone or by strangers, it can also be a good thing. If you’re not talking to a friend during class or being distracted by their funny faces, guess what? You’ll actually pay attention to lecture! (Well… if you aren’t texting on your laptop or dozing off because it’s an 8am.)

Being surrounded by strangers also helps you meet new people. If you don’t know where to sit, ask the friendly looking person in front of you if the seat beside them is taken. Chances are, they’ll say no and you can flash them a charming smile before sitting next to them. That cute boy who has been sitting next to you for three weeks straight? SAY HI TO HIM! He might be super smart and willing to help you with the next assignment, or he might want to form a private study group (wink wink).  Maybe the stranger you’re sitting next to in your CHEM lecture is destined to be your ISU BFF. The bottom line? There’s nothing to lost by being friendly and simply saying hi.

And most important of all, you should know that professors in big lectures actually do care about you. Besides that one douchebag science teacher you had as a sophomore in high school, have you ever met a teacher who REALLY didn’t want to help you get an A? Although the professors may seem unapproachable or really busy with the other classes they teach, they want to help you succeed in any way they can.

Even though they may seem busy, they’re still totally willing to meet with you in office hours or answer your questions via email, so don’t assume they won’t have time for you just because it’s a big class. Added bonus: Big lectures usually have a TA as well, who are an additional resource you can use to ensure your success in the class.

So if you’re intimidated by the thought of taking a large lecture class, just remember this: A class is whatever you make of it, and if you want to succeed and stand out in a crowd, you will.

Iowa State University