I’m actually proud to be from Sioux City, Iowa

It may smell awful, but it’s still home

hometownbanner

People are always hating on the place some of us call home, Sioux City (better known as Sewer City because of the delightful dog food factory located right off the interstate). Even though it’s the third largest city in Iowa, some write it off as just another Midwestern hickville.

The truth is, we are so much more than that, and Sioux City really is a great place to grow up. From Saturday in the Park to nationally ranked restaurants, this city has so much to offer.

La Juanita’s is the go-to drunk food

When it’s rolling around to 1am on a Friday night and you’re craving some spicy carrots, have no fear: the La Juanita’s staff is ready to make you the perfect burrito for your drunken needs. You’ll most likely see no less than five people you know on your trip to La Jua’s (and one of them will probably be that one girl you absolutely hate). La Juanita’s is the pride and joy of Sioux City — President Obama has even been here (he’s pictured with the owner hanging on the wall right next to the register). I, along with every other Sioux Citian, cherish that sacred red-and-white tiled floor.

Stone Park or Bust

Sioux City may not seem like the most beautiful city in the world, but there are some hidden gems. If it’s summertime, Stone Park is the place to be. The state park offers serenity to those who choose to explore the forestry — walking through Stone Park on a sunny Sunday afternoon is just what a person needs in life. And we can’t forget the secret spot we all know at War Eagle: When you hike to the top of the hill, where the rivers meet and the lights sparkle, and you can look out over the entire city. It’s not as infamous as the New York City skyline, but it’s charming nonetheless.

Saturday in the Park is the best

Every year we have the first weekend of July to look forward to, because the city puts on a huge outdoor concert called Saturday in the Park. When I was finally old enough to go to the festival by myself, you can bet I wore a crop top just to feel like a big girl. Residents of Sioux City spend all day at the concert, and you can’t make it through the day without purchasing a delicious turkey leg. Over the years, we’ve been blessed with some great lineups. How many people can say they had the pleasure of growing up in a place that puts on a free Aretha Franklin concert?

High school sucked, but at least we had cool teachers

A lot of people diss the Sioux City school system, but I am here to say I had the most caring teachers that ever lived. Attending West High was more like being part of a bigger family. My teachers never stopped pushing me to be the greatest me possible. That sounds super cheesy, but I really do have them to thank for where I am today. The four high schools in Sioux City offered friendly competition and a sense of unity when needed. I knew wherever I went, I’d see a friendly face.

See you around town (literally)

It may sound simple, but my all time favorite thing to do in Sioux City is drive around town with my best friends blasting hits from the 2000s. If you’ve never been serenaded by me on Hamilton, I’m sorry for your loss. Every weekend night we drove the loop in Morningside with the windows down, and it was guaranteed you’d see many other teens doing the same exact thing.

Sioux City may not be the most glamorous place in the world, but it is home. Though I don’t want to live there permanently (I need a little more action, sorry fam), I sure am glad I had the pleasure of growing up there.

Iowa State University