High school seniors: ‘Choose your adventure’ at Iowa State

We have an albino squirrel — what more could you need?

Needless to say, college is one of the greatest adventures you’ll ever embark on. As per Iowa State’s common recruiting tagline, I “chose my adventure” here, and I’ve been loving every second of it.

In case you needed any more convincing, here are some iron-clad reasons you should commit to ISU on College Decision Day.

‘Iowa nice’ is a real thing

During my trips out of state, I’ve heard many people say those of us from Iowa are always polite, and that stereotype definitely holds true at Iowa State. As a new student, if you look even a little lost, chances are someone is going to stop and ask if you need help. Doors are commonly held open for others, and umbrellas are often shared with those of us who are too stubborn to carry our own around.

You’ll meet the greatest people in the world

I’ve always been very shy. When I moved to Ames for school, I was worried I’d be stuck in the same old high school cliques because I was too shy to make new friend. I was worried for nothing though — I made new friends the first day I moved in. A few days later, I met the friends who would turn into my second family and become my future roommates, and they are now the people I trust with my life. It’s not hard to make friends at a place where everyone is so friendly, no matter how shy you are.

Campus is beautiful

Going to Iowa State is like going to school at a giant park. Central campus is wide open and full of trees for people to hammock in and grass for students to play catch and study on. Campus also is home to the Campanile, Lake Laverne, many historic and beautiful buildings and, best of all, an albino squirrel people are obsessed with. Seriously, people thought it got hit by a bus last fall and they were acting like it was the end of the world.

Hilton Magic is real and you can’t tell me or anyone else here any different

Iowa State isn’t known for its great sports teams, but the last few years have seen the resurgence of Hilton Magic and Iowa State basketball. Hilton Magic was born in the 1980s, and it came back for good when Ames’ golden boy, The Mayor, Fred Hoiberg returned to coach the Cyclones. The past six seasons have seen upsets galore, one of the greatest players in the history of ISU basketball, Georges Niang, insane plays and even more insane fans. Students line up for hours, if not days, to get into games, and the area outside Hilton has become known as Tent City. I’m proud to say I was one of the crazy fans who camped out and froze in below zero weather to see Iowa State upset #1 Oklahoma and beat Kansas (again).

You’ll get a top-notch education

My academic experience at Iowa State has been second to none. The faculty, for the most part, does everything they can to help you succeed and earn your degree. It doesn’t matter if you’re going for an engineering degree or an art degree — you’re going to get the help you need to succeed. Iowa State also provides its students with the technology and tools to succeed in the classroom. Campus is under construction to provide more space for the ever-growing student population which isn’t showing any signs of slowing down. Parks Library has the most space to study, but there are plenty of lesser-known areas on campus to study without the crowd and achieve what you need to do.

So do it, I know you want to

High school juniors and seniors, what are you waiting for? May 1 — aka Decision Day — is swiftly approaching, so choose your adventure at Iowa State and join the cardinal and gold at the greatest university in the world. Go State!

Iowa State University