All of the reasons I loved growing up in Albia, Iowa

I’m realizing how great it is right as I’m about to move away

I never appreciated the fact that I grew up in Albia, Iowa. Now that I’m about to graduate from Iowa State University and move to the East Coast, I realized I’m going to miss the hometown I grew up in. As an 18-year-old freshman, I was ready to leave, and now that I’m actually leaving, I will truly miss everything about it.

Albia is a beautiful city

During anytime of the four seasons, it is the most beautiful town in Southern Iowa (I’m probably a little biased). Not to mention, it probably helps that our “downtown” area is historic.

The sense of community

The past year has been rough for our little town. Last summer a tornado ripped through, destroying several businesses and homes. And over the past few months we lost two well-known people in our community. No one becomes closer together than our little town when tragedy strikes.

But we also celebrate our accomplishments together as well. Any time a school sport makes it to state, everyone in the town attends. I literally think our town of 5,000 moves to the UNI Dome when our football team plays there. And when we return with a win, even better. The winning team rides around on the firetrucks celebrating their win!

Friday night sports are king

You know that Scotty McCreery song “Water Tower Town”? Yeah, that describes our town perfectly… especially when it comes to sports. No matter the weather conditions or if it’s football, basketball, soccer, or track, the whole town is in attendance cheering on The Blue Demons and The Lady Dees.

Everybody knows everybody

I used to look at this as a bad thing, but I have learned to love it. Sure, everyone knew everything about you (including some things you might not want them to know), but I also enjoyed knowing every single person in my graduating class, and actually the entire high school.

My hometown will always be there. No matter how far I travel or how long I am gone, good ol’ Albia will always be there. I’ll always have family there. I’ll always have friends there. I’ll always be able to call this town my home.

At the end of the day, I wouldn’t trade one single day in small town USA.

Iowa State University