Why you shouldn’t be afraid of hot yoga

Sweating isn’t that bad, you guys

Whether it’s a food I can’t pronounce, cutting my bangs, or a different sport/activity, I’m always up to try something new and slightly risky. Until recently, however, hot yoga was never something I was willing to try. It’s a fitness trend in magazines and the pictures of beautiful people in crazy yoga poses look like they’re enjoying themselves, but it never struck me as my type of thing. Now that I’ve “warmed up” to the idea of hot yoga,  I hear other people saying the same misinformed things I used to think to myself.

‘Aren’t you uncomfortable sweating so much?’

This is the most popular comment I hear from hot yoga virgins. As an active person, I like to dabble in various forms of exercise including biking, running, lifting, playing a variety of sports, etc. My point is: I’m used to sweating. Though hot yoga results in a tremendous amount of sweat, you’re not the only one in a 100-degree room that is perspiring excessively. Think of it as a challenge the class is enduring collectively, not one individual suffering in the back corner. I used to be self-conscious of overly sweating while working out, especially because I sweat more than the average person (or have a “high metabolism” as my parents put it). Now it’s almost a craving to be drenched in sweat, feeling as though I’ve just completed an entire detox in an hour.

‘Don’t you get light-headed or feel dehydrated?’

I’ll admit I was light-headed during my first hot yoga class (though I think most of that was from the nerves of being a first-timer). Bring a water bottle, take sips when you need to, and remember to keep breathing. If you still feel light-headed or dehydrated, just take a break. Yoga is not a competition. Go at your own pace and listen to your body.

‘Hot yoga just sounds horrible’

The purpose of the heat is not to make you suffer. It enhances flexibility and relaxation. I seldom felt able to go deeper into a position or stretch during a regular yoga class and was easily frustrated. With some added heat, I feel more limber without the pain/frustration of trying to get a deeper stretch. Sure, if you aren’t accustomed to the heat it can come as a bit of a shock. But in the end, the heat becomes your best friend.

‘Why don’t you just do normal yoga?’

Some may prefer hot yoga from hearing myths that hot yoga burns more fat, helps you lose weight faster, etc. There is research that proves and disproves those ideas, but I personally choose hot yoga for different reasons. I am better able to perform difficult poses with less physical and mental strain. Also, I enjoy leaving class, steam billowing out the door, and enjoy the Iowa winter cold that aggravated me just prior to my workout. With hot yoga, I can get a challenging workout, sweat out all the frustration from earlier in the day, and actually embrace the cold instead of loathe it (even it it’s just for five minutes).

So if you’ve ever been afraid of hot yoga, I hope my insight sparks your interest and gives you the confidence to try something new. If you decide to venture into a hot yoga class, don’t forget to bring a towel, a water bottle, and an open mind.

Iowa State University