Mielo is BACK in a big way

After touring at music festivals and signing with a talent agency, this Hawkeye has returned to the UI to finish his degree

The Tab Iowa last spoke to Brett Stogsdill, better known as Mielo, back in February when he returned to Iowa City for a show a Blue Moose Tap House. Now, after taking a few years off to establish himself in the world of EDM music, Mielo is back in IC… as a student!

That's right, Hawkeyes, we officially have a celebrity on campus. Brett enrolled as a part time student for the Fall 2017 semester here at the University of Iowa to complete his degree in enterprise leadership.

But that's not all! Apart from returning to the UI, Brett has much more to celebrate.

Brett recently signed with Spin Artist Agency, a talent agency representing electronic music artists in North and South America. Spin Artist represents a lot of other big names you've definitely heard of, like Avicii and Armin Van Buuren.

Brett opened up to The Tab Iowa all about his plans for making school and his music work.

"While school is important, my music career is just as important to me as finishing my degree," Brett said. "Especially now that I'm signed with Spin Artist and have an agent and team that works with me. I have to keep producing music and touring, even though I'm taking classes again."

“To be honest, had I known I was going sign with Spin Artist, I probably wouldn't have gone back to school," Brett laughed. "But I'm enrolled now and am going to see it through and get my degree. I'm just going to have to make it work, meaning I'll be pretty busy most of the time."

"What I'm looking forward to the most is touring with Spin Artist," Brett said. "I plan on touring around North America heavily and hopefully expand from there soon."

"I think my goal for out of country touring is Australia. Mexico would be cool, too, and eventually I'd like to tour in Europe."

Brett is also finishing up the last leg of his Illusory Tour. He's played at some big music festivals during this tour, including Summer Set in Somerset, Wisconsin, 515 Alive in Des Moines, Iowa and Spring Awakening in Chicago, Illinois.

Brett recalled playing at Spring Awakening in Chicago back in early June, one of the most exciting shows he played in his entire career.

"I was originally scheduled to play earlier in day, but my set got pushed back to later in the night after Axwell and Ingrosso, the guys from Swedish House Mafia, cancelled." Brett told us. "They had some of their equipment and personal stuff, including their passports, robbed in Europe and weren't able to get to the U.S. for the show."

"It was my best show without a doubt, purely from the adrenaline rush I got from the crowd of like, ten thousand people. When I came on, there were a good three or four hundred in the crowd who actually knew me, and when I was done, all of them did," Brett said. "It was one of the coolest experiences playing I've ever had."

On top of all of that, Mielo's song "Surreal" has hit a million streams on Spotify, a huge accomplishment without a doubt. Brett says "Surreal" was a huge hit for being his first release, and has since been looking to release a new song that tops it.

Mielo's newest song, "Illusory," was just released Tuesday on Spotify. Check it out here and listen for yourself!

University of Iowa Iowa City Mielo spin artist agency spring awakening music festival University of Iowa