UI students spent a weekend protesting the DAPL at a Native American reservation

Yet again, our country is violating the rights of a group whose voice is being silenced

Among the people asking you if you’re registered to vote, asking you to sign petitions, or asking you if you’ve found God yet, there are a couple people who have been staked out on the T. Anne Cleary walkway asking nothing more than for students to start paying attention to a cause that deserves more attention. Emily Feldkamp and Elise Goodvin, in the hopes of making sure that our generation isn’t on the wrong side of history- ignorant and complacent in yet another injustice against minorities, were trying to spread one simple message: NO DAPL.

In neighboring Native American reservations, a war is being fought. Peaceful protesters from hundreds of tribes have come together for one cause. They face police dogs, pepper spray, and arrest; but worst of all they face yet another disgraceful injustice against their integrity and independence. A pipeline funded by a Texas billionaire is planned to cut through North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa and Illinois; endangering the drinking water of millions and desecrating spiritually valuable native land that was promised to them generations ago.

Recently, Emily and Elise made the 12 hour drive to the Sacred Stone Camp to take a small part in the history being made there. Upon her return, Emily was able to share her experience with me.

When did you first hear about the proposed pipeline and what made this effort so important to you?

The Dakota Access Pipeline first came to my attention when my good friend Kira shared a video of Shailene Woodley speaking about the pipeline in mid August, but Standing Rock has been resisting the construction of this pipeline since April 2016.  This is very important to me because it’s not a matter of if this pipeline breaks it’s a matter of when. Clean drinking water should be a human right and when people try to jeopardize it we need to try to protect it.

*you can also watch a video of Shailene Woodley’s arrest below*

Why do you think that other people haven’t taken a stand for this cause?

I think a lot of people feel like this isn’t their fight or like they wouldn’t be able to help, but that’s not the case. When we went to standing rock the Natives were very excited to see some “white people.” This isn’t just about the Native Americans it’s about drinking water for everyone. Yes, they are the ones leading this peaceful resistance, but they need our support, helping to defend what is sacred to them.

I do think the media plays a huge part in this too. With the election coming up, this pipeline hasn’t gotten a lot of attention. It got its two minutes of fame and then they moved on from the issue. Many people seemed to think that the issue was resolved when President Obama delayed the construction, but it is very much so still on track to being built.

How do you think things would change for those on the reservation, and for the country as a whole, if the pipeline were put in?

There’s so much at stake when you look at this pipeline from the big picture.  The pipeline goes through North & South Dakota, through Iowa, to Peoria, IL.  It crosses the Mississippi & Missouri Rivers and one of the largest standing aquifers on earth. And when it does leak, because all pipelines do at some point, the damage could be irreversible, destroying clean water for millions along with habitats and farmlands.

For the people on the reservation, they’ve had to deal with American people messing with their lives for more than 500 years. This is their sacred land, and respecting that should be the law. No pipeline has the right to cross into that territory.

What reactions did you get when you stood on the T. Anne Cleary Walkway with a sign urging people to stand up against the pipeline?

When I stood with my sign I had a lot of positive reactions! I got a lot of thumbs up, some fist clenching in a “Yesss” type of way, and a few people came and talked to me. But I was still surprised by how many people would come up to me and ask things like “what are you doing this for?” “what’s the Dakota Access Pipeline?” “I’ve never heard of this, what is this?” I guess it just shows that we need to keep spreading the word about the pipeline and the impact it would have.

What made you decide that now was the time to go to the reservation?

We went to the reservation because we had a free weekend and the time and the money so why not invest it in something that matters? I believe in actively participating in our countries history. Someday I will get to tell my grandchildren that I went to the one of the biggest Native American gatherings in history. I wanted to go and feel that land that they’ve preserved for hundreds of years. We wanted to be at the source of this resistance. Unfortunately we couldn’t stay long, but I’m very grateful that I got to go and hear from the Natives and see them and experience a little part of their culture. Everyone at Sacred Stone Camp was very welcoming, if someone needed help they simply asked and everyone was more than willing to help.

What was the most impactful thing that you experienced on your trip?

The most impactful thing that I experienced on this trip was this feeling of abandonment, but abandonment of all the bullshit.  Finally, I was able to meet a group of people who know exactly what matters in this world.  The most important thing we need is simply life. Life comes from many aspects of the world, but they all do come from this earth. It is our duty, as dependents on this earth, that we protect it. Right now our water and our land is at stake and we must protect it. “Mni Wiconi”: water is life.

It must have been difficult to return to campus, where our priorities are often hard to sort out, and it is hard to focus on the simple things that you said matter most. How do you intend to balance your life as a student with your investment in these people and this cause? What can we do on campus to help?

As hard as it is being back in school there are still so many ways to help out.  We’ve got numbers here and if everyone puts forward a little effort I think we’ll really see this thing take off. Make your own signs, start standing, start conversing with people and learn the facts. Only have 10 minutes in between your classes? Talk with someone along the way.

What is the message that you most want to share? 

We have broken every treaty we have ever made with a Native American tribe.  We have broken zero war treaties with other countries. These people are being arrested for trespassing on the land that we assigned them to, and that just doesn’t make sense to me. The police had rifles and semi-automatic guns pointed at them during a prayer ceremony, and they were dropping tear-gas from the sky to completely peaceful, unarmed, caring humans. I want to share the message that these people deserve their voices to be heard.

***

I encourage everyone, as with any issue, to educate themselves on this one. There are a huge amount of articles and opinions about this pipeline, even if they are not in the media spotlight. Here are just a few:

Huffington Post 

Heavy.com

DAPL Pipeline Facts 

University of Iowa