Everything you know if you’ve been a camp counselor

Grey squirrels are the WORST

Camp is a place where time stands still, and the campers and counselors often wish the summer never had to end.

When working at a summer camp, you get to do so many things make it feel like it isn’t even a job… potentially because the pay isn’t much, but it’s worth it in so many ways.

From the s’mores to the ziplines every day feels more and more like a vacation.

It’s all about the magic

One of the best parts is spreading the camp magic.

It’s a chance to be a friend, a nurse, a role model, an instructor and in some cases even a therapist.

A counselor has a week to put back together the years of damage that may have happened to Sally’s self-esteem, while showing Josh that it isn’t okay to fight people just because he’s scared.

Pete Bancks, a high school senior who went to “YMCA Camp Wapsie” in Coggin, Iowa, said: “This is a camper. She didn’t come with any kids she already knew and was pretty homesick. At the end of the week, she came up to me and said “You were the first friend I made here!” which really shows what camp is all about.

“It’s a place where counselors can change a kid’s life in only seven days.”

The adventures are endless

Counselors get to take the kids on great adventures, even if it is just two counselors dressing up as a wild “squeegee” and hiding in the woods so the kids can find you after learning about following clues.

You discover more and more about yourself as you think outside the box to get the kids to open up.

Counselors also get to go on physical adventures.

Imagine taking a group of kids down a river in a kayak just to find one camper doesn’t like kayaking… they end up grabbing your boat while trying to pull both of you down the river.

It’s a toss-up who’s cussing and crying the most, you or the kid.

You wish you could be on camp time year round

When asked what time it is, it is always Camp Time, which of course is the best time. At my summer camp I work at, the time is always 10:10, no matter what time it actually is.

You show the kids this by setting your watch’s alarm to 10:10 and watch the amazement appear on their face when it never changes.

You will find yourself doing traditions out of camp

Traditions will bring out the feels every time. Like taking down the tattered American flag at the last session of camp and burning it in the final camp fire, while everyone around is sobbing – for some of the kids, it’s their last time.

And for some of counselors, it’s their last opportunity to spread the magic they have grown to love.

Showers?! What are those?!

Smelling bad is unavoidable. But it will be the smell of all the fun that’s been had that week.

The smell of the creek stomping where the kids decided to give a surprise mud bath. Or having to smell like food after hours spraying off of nasty dishes in the kitchen.

To be honest, the only bath/shower to be had is going to the pool, but that’s okay because that is how everyone else is getting clean too.

Nights are really just a longer part of the day

Having to call a code “grey squirrel” every night to get some fresh sheets may get frustrating but that’s okay, bed wetting happens. And having to stay up all night coloring a photo with a kiddo who is a bit homesick – and helping them realize camp is their home now too.

Jeopardize sleep, food, health, and cleanliness just to make sure they have a great time, but even when doing all of that still having the best time of your life.

You can find a home at any camp

Going through camp growing up, and making it through CIT just to find that your childhood camp may not be your home anymore. It’s sad – you can’t imagine a summer without Chaco tan lines and mosquito bites.

Soon, you find a new place and start right back up again. You convince the girls going through their awkward stage that it’s totally fine they didn’t get a date to the camp dance because boys are gross and they have cooties.

Some kids you may love, and some kids you may secretly hate (but you never say this out loud).

Some days will be hard, but every year at the end of summer you will pack up your things and yell to your co-counseler “I’ll see you next year!”

Because camp is just something you just can’t live without.

University of Iowa