How to become a Jedi at the University of Iowa

We’ve answered the question everyone’s asking

We all grew up with Star-Wars, and when the new movie hit the theaters, everybody was psyched to watch their favorite Jedi go to town on those dumb droids.

We all had our childhood fantasies of becoming a member of the Jedi Counsel, and I’m going to tell you how to do that in real life.

Your lightsaber is your smartphone 

A Jedi’s lightsaber is an extension of himself and it is always with him. The cell phone is the modern day lightsaber. Whether you have an IPhone, Droid, or Samsung Galaxy X whatever, this technology holds more than enough to be our lightsaber. We can access infinite information and create more than we ever have before.

Use this saber, and take the first step towards becoming a Jedi.

Here at Iowa, there are many resources to take advantage of with your lightsaber. There are Facebook groups, Instagram pages, and Twitter profiles infused with all content that is Iowa.

There are many events and opportunities posted every day that give us Iowans a competitive edge to those who are not wielding this device.

Use the Force and network

Whoever pitched the idea of using “The Force” to the director of Star-Wars, is truly a genius. He took the concept of “being in tune with one’s feelings,” and made it cool. The force is nothing more than self reflection and careful observation of the world. We all use this intuition to maintain relationships and further our lives, but those who are aware of their surroundings and are thinking twelve steps ahead, are the people who are becoming a Jedi Knight.

College is all about connections, and by using the force, one can easily become a member of Iowa’s Jedi counsel. These are the people at the top of any activity or major you decide to put your time and energy into. Talking to people and using your intuition is the best way to master this ability.

Apprentice and Master 

The apprentice-master relationship is a beautiful concept that shows personal and intimate growth. If you are struggling to develop yourself or feel like you have hit a wall, search for a mentor. This is not a one-way relationship, but a carefully handled bond between Jedi at different stages of their development. Make connections to teachers, students, directors, and even your parents! These are the people who will be excited learn as they watch you grow to reach your full potential, and eventually, recommend you to the Jedi counsel.

Anybody at Iowa who says they can’t find a mentor, has not tried looking. There are hundreds of people in every department who are eager to meet a kid who is hungry to learn how to be a Jedi. Utilize the force and your lightsaber to find your mentor.

Finding your “Yoda”

Your Yoda is different than your mentor. Your Yoda is your end result, your final goal, your etherial being you stride every day to become. Nothing will stop you from this goal because you see the value and beauty in its existence, and a part of you knows that you could do it better. Yoda is, however, a concept, and you may never feel as though you have become Yoda. That is because “Yoda” is not actually tangible.

“Yoda” is actually the future that you create as you grind every day. And every day your Yoda should become closer, yet further, as you discover new ways to hack the system we call “life.” Be a Jedi, become a Yoda.

Herky the Hawk is Yoda for a lot of people here at Iowa. He is a symbol of our school dedication to being the best version of ourselves. But he is not Yoda for everyone. Did you know that Ashton Kutcher graduated from the University of Iowa? If he is the etherial being you want to aspire to be in order to motivate yourself to grow, then by all means, become a sexy actor.

It’s a Trap!

If you have made it this far in becoming a Jedi Knight, then congratulations, but the hardest part is still to come. THE SITH. Every day, there will be people who entice you with things that will stray you from your path to becoming a Jedi. In the words of the famous Miracle speech, “Screw-em! Tonight, is your time!” Nothing, NOTHING, let me repeat that, NOTHING!!! should keep you from becoming the Jedi you were meant to be. Be a strong Iowan, be a Jedi.

The University of Iowa is your gateway to the Jedi counsel.

May the force be with you.

University of Iowa