Why it’s important we recognize Autism Awareness Day

April 2 is a day to show our love to those with ASD

Today is the eighth annual World Autism Awareness day — the second day of Autism Awareness Month. It may not be easy raising a kiddo with autism, but it is so damn easy to love them. Autistic is just one “A” word describing children with autism: They’re also amazing, awesome, absent-minded, assertive, and so much more.

Join us in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day and by promoting Autism Acceptance everyday. I’m confident someday, we will be able to add “accepted” to their list of “A” adjectives.

Autism is often associated with an intellectual disability, meaning they may not be able to learn things quite as quickly or in the same way as everyone else. You may also see people who have autism “rocking,” but this isn’t a reason for you to laugh or point at them.

I did Best Buddies all throughout high school, a group that helps to pair people with physical and mental disabilities with general education students to form one-to-one friendships that last a lifetime. Through this amazing group I met my buddy, Cornell.

At our first Best Buddies party together back in 2012

Cornell is an amazing guy: super funny, never shy, and talented in so many ways. He can make me laugh, smile, and feel loved every single time I see him. Cornell is an everyday guy, the only thing is he happens to have autism.

You should never make the person into the disability they have by automatically labeling him as your “autistic friend,” because he is so much more.

Cornell is a master at all things related to the Asian arts. Just ask him anything and he will be able to tell you off the top of his head that there were five dynasties throughout all of China’s history, and that the Great Wall of China is 13,170.69 miles long.

Even though Cornell may not be able to solve difficult math problems, he can beat you in bowling so badly you wouldn’t know what hit you. He can also tell you what your horoscope is, and what you should and shouldn’t do during that week based off of how the stars are aligned.

Want to watch a Disney movie but the speakers are broken so you can’t hear anything? Good news! Cornell knows virtually every word to every Disney movie written.

Cornell can tell you the recipe to a bunch of different types of food, and can actually put it together splendidly.

Cornell and I at a cooking competition

So yes, Cornell may have autism, but he also has all these other skills that make him simply my best friend, not my best autistic friend.

Cornell and I this year

On this World Autism Awareness Day, do your part by educating yourself about our non-neurotypical friends, and spread the love today and every day.

University of Iowa