Reasons your freshman dorm friends are the absolute realest

Lets face it, we all want a squad

Going to college comes with a lot more life changes than merely just a new school. Attending a university with over 32,000 students gives you a pretty good chance of finding a group of people you like.

However, if you’re lucky, those people will be right down the hall from you.

They become a part of your daily routine

There comes a point during first semester where you no longer find it necessary to knock on a friends doors before entering. The concept of dropping by for no reason isn’t anything new, and you realize you’d much rather spend time with everyone then sit in your room alone.

They see you at your worst, and don’t judge you for it 

Unlike high school, college leaves you pretty much not caring what you look like. Your dorm friends see you in your pajamas, right out of the shower, or even very much in need of a shower.  And lets all be real, we’ve all had friends barge into our unlocked room at some pretty unfortunate times. They’ve seen you stumble in late at night, or come back early in the morning, and chances are they’ll ask you about your adventures later.

You get to know each other extremely well, and very quickly 

Living in close quarters with other people gives you ample opportunity to be up in each other’s business. After a few short months, your dorm friends have learned who you were in high school, and they see how you are choosing to live your life now. Chances are they’ve met parents or a significant other and spilled the beans about an incident “we weren’t going to talk about”. You begin to memorize each other’s schedules and find yourself keeping tabs on when everyone is going home for the weekend (and you might even get invited to go with).

As much as you hate being basic, you can’t help but call them “squad”

There’s nothing more perfect than having a fun night out with friends, then making the trek back home together to order a large pizza and a box of Pokey Stix. Everyone needs a good group of people to call their “squad” and cause a little ruckus with. These are the people who become your family for the school year, and even though you guys might get in trouble sometimes, they’ve always got your back.

They actually take an interest in your life

Whether or not they actually care about the new “love interest” you’ve been Facebook stalking, chances are they’re having to hear you talk about it at least once a day. They ask too many questions about your private life and it leads to you asking the same questions back. They’re the mom who keeps you in line, the best friend who makes sure you’re having fun, and the older sibling that tells you to get your life together.

You share the freshman struggle

The rule list for dorms is plenty long, but rarely followed (at least if you’re a fun person). We can all thank our hall mates for not ratting us out when the RA asks who broke the exit sign or what’s going on behind that closed door. It’s been scientifically proven that the people who spend more time with their hall mates doing stuff,  are generally happier than the people yelling at others to “keep it down”. We’ve all done stupid things, and caught each other in the act. Luckily we know if we keep their secrets, then they’ll keep ours.

Reality is, they’re the reason you didn’t drop out

College is a hard transition, but luckily it all works out when you got a rad group of friends who understand what you’re going through. And even if you won’t be living near them after your first year if over, they’ll always be the ones who helped you get your feet back on the ground.

University of Iowa