There’s nothing better than being a farmer’s daughter

Not picture perfect, but pretty damn close

As a farmer’s daughter, I’ve had the perfect childhood.

Though some may see it as unappealing and a lot of work, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

It’s a special privilege to be granted with, and I’m sure many girls can relate to my love for this life.

We aren’t your average girl

You may hear this a lot and think it’s a stereotype, but it is 100 percent true.

We were raised to be both tough and soft at the same time.

We know our manners and have great respect. We care deeply, whether it’s about friends, family, or even our animals.

We aren’t afraid of getting hurt, because really what’s life without a few bumps and bruises along the way?

Our years on the farm have made us much stronger than we look- both mentally and physically.

So I recommend not to mess with the people we care about; we are more than willing to fight back when necessary.

Our childhood was every kid’s dream

We grew up on an acreage with plenty of room to run and play. We had four-wheelers and rangers that we could drive whenever we wanted.

We learned to drive the pickup truck around the age of ten, and of course we told our friends because we thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Our dads may have been gone for work a lot, but we still got to see them. Whenever harvest came along we got to be the shotgun rider with our grandpas and dads.

The buddy seats in the tractors and combines were all ours, and it made us feel like such big shots.

Even on the days we couldn’t ride along, we still got to go with our mom and eat supper in the field with our dad – it’s one of our favorite memories.

Although I never had the urban experience of biking with my friends or meeting up at the park, I was never bored.

We could play in the mud, shoot arrows, drive around, hit in our batting cage, shoot hoops in the back, run to the grandparent’s house next door, and climb literally anything and everything, no matter how sketchy the ladders were.

We learned responsibility at a young age

Although the big jobs didn’t start until our teens, we started learning how to work while we were still pretty young.

We were given the simple tasks around the farm, and even though we complained about it, we normally got it done.

There are plenty of small jobs to do. Someone needs to clean the tractor windows, vacuum the cab, pick up sticks, and mow the lawn.

Running water out to the guys was another big one – though that job never really ends.

We aren’t afraid to get dirty

This is another stereotype that is totally true.

Working outside our whole lives forces us to get used to being dirty and smelly.

Whether it’s sweat, mud, dust, or hog shit – we’re always full of something while we’re working. It may seem gross at first, but after a while pretty much nothing bothers us.

We’ll take a few showers later and try to get the smell off, but during the day, filthy it is.

Don’t complain to us about work

One thing that always bothered me while growing up was people whining about having to clean houses, babysit, or work at the town restaurant.

We all know work isn’t fun, but I promise you it could be much worse.

Being a farmer’s daughter, we get a taste of multiple jobs. We sort out hogs that are 300 pounds and meaner than hell at three-o-clock in the morning.

We power wash trucks and trailers full of hog shit and by the time we’re done our faces and bodies are covered with filth.

We rip up fences in the middle of July on the hottest day of the summer and clean out grain bins and corn cribs until our arms can’t move and our lungs are full of dust.

It sucks, and yet at the same time we secretly look forward to it.

We work with awesome people

The hired men, a.k.a your competition, your work partners, and some of your closest friends.

It takes a long time to find a guy worth hiring, but when your dad finally does they become a constant part of your life.

These are the guys who will see you covered in shit and sweat.

They’ll see you when you’re in your worst possible mood, when you get hurt, when you screw up, and when you do something completely embarrassing.

You’ll have deep conversations and pointless chats and call each other some of the worst names in the book, just for the hell of it.

After a while the middle finger becomes your hello and they’ll be joining your family for lunch and dinner.

Although you would never admit it, these guys mean a lot to you, and you dread the day they’ll move on to another job.

We wouldn’t change a thing

I love being the farmer’s daughter. Yes I’m spoiled and yes I’m stereotyped, but I was raised right and I’m grateful.

I know how to treat people and I know how to work.

I’m very close to my family and have pretty great people around me at all times.

You might not see the glamour in this life, but for me it’s a chaotic paradise.

I have so many amazing memories at home, and the best part of all is knowing that there are many more to come.

University of Iowa