Obama thinks Iowa is going to lose to Villa-freaking-nova

Mr. President, you had one job

President Obama has picked his bracket for the NCAA tournament, with Kansas beating North Carolina for the National Championship.

The real travesty here is that he has Iowa losing to Villanova in the 2nd round! Villa-freaking-nova! I don’t know what he was drinking when he made his picks, but there’s one thing I do know.

In heaven, there is no beer.

Now, I could go into why I don’t think the President understands college sports (Really, Mr. President? No Cinderellas?), but I won’t.

From President Obama’s bracket

Don’t get me wrong, folks, my Hawkeyes haven’t been impressive lately. We went from being ranked #3 in the country and predicted to be a #1 seed in the tournament, to losing 6 of our last 8 games and being shipped off to Brooklyn as a #7 seed.

Quite the fall from grace, yes.

However, Iowa Athletic teams have a knack for playing with a chip on their shoulder. The football team showed it in their storybook season, and the basketball team showed it until that bad stretch at the end.

But guess what? Things can’t really get much worse than losing to Illinois in the B1G tournament, so it’s only up from here!

Besides, Jarrod Uthoff and the boys still got that fire in them, they just got to let it burn again.

I have a little more faith in the Hawkeyes

Villanova is a part of the “always overrated teams club” right alongside Gonzaga, and Georgetown (Dunk City says hello).

Although the Wildcats have usually been given a higher seed in recent years, they haven’t made it past the second round since 2009.

Photo credit: hawkeyebasketball.com

Nova also lost the Big East tournament title in a heart stopper to Seton Hall. Hard fought conference championship games often have a tendency to emotionally drain the teams that played in them. It’ll be interesting see how Villanova handles the situation.

Of course, this is all irrelevant if Iowa doesn’t take care of business in the first round. You can watch your Iowa Hawkeyes take on the Temple Owls in the Brooklyn Regional on March 18th at 2:10pm on truTV.

Go Hawks!

University of Iowa