We’re proud to celebrate the Greek community at the University of Iowa

This week, we literally wear our letters on our sleeves

I’m sure you’ve all seen countless people sporting their Greek Letters around campus.

The week of March 6, 2016 marks National Ritual Celebration Week for the Greek Community with Monday marking International Badge Day. This is a time for Fraternity and Sorority men and women to take extra pride in the chapters, and communities they are apart of.

We found Greeks around campus and asked them why they are proud to wear their letters.

Ali Mistretta, Alpha Delta Pi

“I’m proud to be Greek because I’ve gotten to know fantastic people. I love wearing Alpha Delta Pi and representing our philanthropy around campus.

“It’s great to support the Ronald McDonald house and see how happy we can make the kids.”

Ali Mistretta, Junior, Enterprise Leadership Major

Jackson McNally, Phi Kappa Psi

“I wear my letters because I’m proud to be a part of the Greek community here at Iowa, and to be a part of the Phi Psi brother hood nationwide.”

Jackson McNally, freshman, Journalism Mass Communication and History Major

Lexi Speer, Delta Zeta

“I am proud to be apart of Greek Life because I love the supportive community we have on campus and all the friendships you can make. Greek Life really pushes us academically, socially, and teaches us strong morals such as the importance of philanthropy.

“My favorite parts of Delta Zeta are the values we hold, the diversity we have, and all the leadership opportunities you can have. I have developed so many important skills that will enrich my future, all while making not only my best friends, but a family of sisters. I am incredibly proud to be apart of a sorority that has true, genuine sisterhood!

“I know DZ will always be a huge part of my life!”

Lexi Speer, Junior, Major in Human Physiology Pre-Physician Assistant with a Minor in German, Philanthropy Chair

Caroline Carlson, Delta Gamma

“The reason why I am proud to wear my letters is because Delta Gamma has made me a better person and I’ve made many lasting friendships.”

Caroline Carlson, freshman, Pre-Nursing Major

Bennett Shapiro, Alpha Epsilon Pi

“I am proud to be Greek because I know that the Greek community is one of the most active and involved groups on campus. When I see people wearing letters, I understand that they are devoted to the things they are involved in. That’s a standard that any Greek member on any campus meets.

“I am proud to be an Alpha Epsilon Pi for many reasons. For one, AEPI is extremely rich in tradition. I have several family members who are now my brothers, and we connect on a whole new level. I love being a part of Alpha Epsilon Pi because I get to associate myself with the most respectable men on campus. Not only that, but we’re also all extremely good looking and modest.”

Bennett Shapiro, Freshman, open major, Rush Chair

Haley Bankson, Kappa Kappa Gamma

“I love being apart of Kappa Kappa Gamma because it has helped me become a better women and held me to high standards!

“I have created lifelong friendships and continue to strive to be a better individual each day!”

Haley Bankson (left), Sophomore, Finance Major with Political Science Minor, President

Emily Ardis, Alpha Chi Omega

“Being in Greek life has helped me to get out of my comfort zone and meet so many new people. It’s made the campus feel smaller and much more like home. I am so lucky to be in AXO, as a part of such an amazing group of beautiful, talented, smart, funny, kind, and inspirational “real strong women”.

“My Alpha Chis are always there for me, and life is so much more fun with them in it.”

Emily Ardis (far right), Freshman, Nursing Major with Spanish Minor

Patrick Willaert, Pi Kappa Phi

“Why am I proud to be Pi Kapp? I’m proud because I’m part of a band of brothers. We are all united under the same ideas and beliefs and strive to help each other excel and become great. They are there to celebrate your accomplishments and to keep you holding your head high when times get tough.

“We learn from each others mistakes and strive to help each and every one of us become more of a man with integrity.”

Patrick Willaert, Freshman Communications Major, Philanthropy Chair

Laura Zuba, Alpha Delta Pi

I love Greek life because I am able to have a sense of community in the big university that Iowa is and create a family away from home. I feel so lucky to have been able to join Alpha Delta Pi and meet life-long friends and sisters.

“I’m so proud to be an ADPi and there is no place I’d rather be than surrounded by the amazing women I am lucky enough to call my sisters.”

Laura Zuba (left), Freshman, Business Major

Sarah Fisher, Chi Omega

“I’m proud to be a part of Greek life because I’m surrounded and supported by so many amazing women. Being a Chi Omega inspires me to the best possible woman I can be in every way, shape, and form.

“I’m so proud of everything Chi Omega is and what they’re going to become.”

Sarah Fisher, freshman, Speech and Hearing Science Major

Brandon Furuta, Tau Kappa Epsilon

“Joining Greek life at the University of Iowa was one of the greatest decisions I have made and I will always be honored to wear my letters, TKE, on campus. Tau Kappa Epsilon is a fraternity that continuously gives back to the community through service and philanthropy, two ideals that I immediately relate to. We are a brotherhood that unfailingly supports each other socially and academically.

“Our Fraternity is diverse in matters like political opinions, ethnicity, religions, just to name a few, and that is what makes us great. I believe these qualities can be found among all Greek life organizations, which is why those involved have such high regard for each other. Greek life, and Tau Kappa Epsilon in particular, are both things I will be forever be honored to be involved in.”

Brandon Furuta, Junior, French Major, Philanthropy Chair

Liz Panella, Kappa Alpha Theta

“I’m Proud to wear my badge and my letters on campus today and everyday because I am not only representing being apart of Kappa Alpha Theta, but of the exceptional Greek community at the University of Iowa.

“Being in Greek life at Iowa has proved me the opportunity to build friendships serve and be involved in the community, and grow as a student and as a person.”

Liz Panella, Junior, Communication Studies and Leadership Studies Major

Liz Huether and Jill Connolly, Alpha Phi

“We wear our letters because we want to represent a the fantastic sisterhood that Alpha Phi has to offer.”

Liz Huether, freshman, Journalism and Mass Communications Major — Jill Connolly, freshman, Pre-Business Major

Cris Baker, Lambda Chi Alpha

“I’m proud to be a member of FSL because it helped me find out who I want to be. It helped me find LXA, a place I would consider my home away from home.

“I hold our values true and they’ve helped mold/shape who I want to become as an adult in society. So when I wear my letters I can’t help but be proud because I know they helped me become a better person.”

Cris Baker (center), freshman, Marketing Major

Caitlin Moravec, Alpha Xi Delta

“I am proud to be an Alpha Xi Delta because of the support Alpha Xis give to the community! We are always at everyone’s philanthropy events and even going to our sister’s club events and cheering them on!

“I am proud to be able to wear this pin and represent the history of amazing women who’ve come through the chapter.”

Caitlin Moravec, Freshman Chemical Engineering student, Greek Week representative

Dan Heraty, Beta Theta Pi

“I’m proud to wear Beta Theta Pi’s letters around campus because I believe in all the values the letters stand for.”

Dan Heraty, Sophomore, Business Major, Vice President of Finance

Haley Hawbaker, Alpha Phi

“I am proud to be apart of Alpha Phi for many reasons. My sisters show great loyalty, support, and kindness for each other. Alpha Phi supports and looks out for each and every member and I love being apart of such a loving family. Being apart of this sorority also makes me feel like I have a home here on campus.

“I am also proud of our involvement around campus and the hard work we do and awareness we create for our philanthropy of women’s heart health. I am so glad I chose to be apart of the Greek community here at Iowa.”

Haley Hawbaker, freshman, Industrial Engineering Major

Greek Life is one of the many communities you can get involved with here at the University of Iowa.

Fraternity and Sorority men and women take great pride in the connection they have within their chapter, and also with others across campus. With a large range of Philanthropies, and dozens of chapters, Greek life has played a huge role at the University of Iowa, and we’re proud of it.

University of Iowa