I’m glad the University of Iowa is politically correct

Free speech is NOT stifled by political correctness at the University of Iowa

I have the right to be offended. When I get called a slut or asked if I like tentacle porn, I will be offended. And I’m offended by an article about how political correctness supposedly stifles free speech.

I come from a small Western Iowa town where racism and sexism are commonplace. As an Asian-American female who has experienced both of these prejudices throughout my childhood, I anticipated a refreshing experience at the University of Iowa, which has an amazing reputation of being accepting and forward-thinking when dealing with social justice issues.

Although I’m only a freshman, I have yet to experience someone telling me to “stop PMSing” or try to make squinty eyes at me. For the first time in eighteen years, my defining trait has not been bad driving or math skills. My peers, whether they be second year or senior students, have been sensitive to things that may offend or trigger not just me, but others who face similar or different situations.

Aside from the fact that most people here have a general respect for others, I can thank the University’s action for political correctness, inclusivity, and minority safety for this. For instance, four residence halls have pod-style bathrooms, which create a safe place for people of all gender and gender expressions to perform a basic human function.

Things like trigger warnings and safe spaces protect those who have faced prejudice or trauma of all kinds

By making sure things such as political correctness are being upheld within the community, we create a safe environment. Regardless of what one thinks, they shouldn’t do something that will hurt another. If I sympathize with certain views, that doesn’t stop me from being kind to those that don’t. We do not have to be friends, but I don’t need to hurt them either. In a similar fashion, those who believe gender neutral terms to be unnecessary do not have to go out of the way to offend someone by misgendering them.

If diversity is such an important part of the University, then we must be accepting of everyone. Inclusivity does not include picking and choosing. While this means all schools of thought are allowed to be voiced with free speech, when one of them automatically cuts out the voice of others, we have to compromise.

A recurring issue at the University has been places such as Yik Yak, where people can make anonymous comments. With identities veiled, a controversial topic can be brought up without the negative repercussions against whoever said it. Those who have yet to grasp the concept that different things can offend others might defend this as free speech. Nothing can stop them from voicing their opinion – but they may have to pay the price of being labeled something like a racist, especially if they say something that is widely regarded to be racist.

From campus earlier this year

Free speech is calling someone a faggot. Free speech is also someone telling you that slurs are offensive, immature, insensitive, and that normal nice people do not use such a derogatory term.

If someone is hurt, there’s no question about it. If they were offended, they were offended. If they were triggered, they were triggered. No one else gets to make that decision for them.

Grow thicker skin? No. I’ll stand up for myself.

So what if someone really can’t cope? I played “devil’s advocate” and asked crisis center worker Molly Towne for a certified and credible source.

The first year English and Social work major said: “There’s not an easy fix. It’s a process traumatized people live with. A lot of things that trigger people are unavoidable, but they will actively avoid them.”

She explained to me that if, say, a dog triggered someone, they would research whether there would be one in a movie they would like to see. Or perhaps a friend would let them know. They understand that things won’t be easy for them – but they don’t expect the world to cater to them either. Trigger warnings are a polite way we can help others, just as getting rid of the Confederate flag removes the usage of a piece of iconography steeped in a racist history. It won’t completely erase something bad that’s happened, but it will help to mend injustices and move forward.

Getting offended doesn’t always mean I’m right. Some people do take things too far or misinterpret social justice movements and terms. But those are extreme cases. We don’t correlate all white people with the KKK, so we shouldn’t correlate any group with an extremist counterpart.

University of Iowa