Why you should be visiting Art Building West

Are you artsy? Interested in architecture? Just a wannabe poser? Then this is the place for you

I take pride in my Internet persona and superficial reputations, so it’s necessary to make sure I’m impressing my online friends with cool pictures of me studying and being in cool places. My best kept secret is Art Building West.

Not only do I actually get homework done there, but it is an endless source for sweet Instagram photos.

Art Building West was designed by Steven Holl and opened in 2006. It’s won multiple national and international architecture awards over the years, which I though was pretty impressive for the University of Iowa.  It houses some art offices, lecture halls, and classrooms.

Although it’s tucked away on Riverside Drive by the College of Public Health and Music West, you can take the Studio Arts route on the Cambus. If you’re lucky enough, you might run into my favorite bus driver who plays a nice collection of rock and metal. Sometimes he even sings along or drums on the steering wheel at the stops.

To the left of the entrance is the Levitt Gallery, where graduate students’ work gets displayed. This is one of my prime Instagram sources, because the innovative exhibits show off new things artists are doing.

If that didn’t excite you enough, there’s food here too! Cicero’s Café is a branch of Oasis, who makes really good falafel and hummus. It was named after Marcus Tullius Cicero, who was a patron of the arts back in the first century BC. (Fun fact: the latin name for “Cicero” means chickpea, which is featured in the café food).

Many times I’ve thought about knocking the cashier out and making off with the goods, but that’s socially unacceptable and would probably get me arrested. Also, I would not look like a cool art student if I suspiciously dragged around a large bag of Mediterranean food. I don’t think I could pull it off as performance art.

But I digress. Overall, my favorite part is the art library, located on the second floor. Tall ceilings and windows open the room to let in perfect selfie light. At the entrance, you can find a large sitting area over the pond perfect for reading. To the right are shelves that you can literally move with a wheel. Do yourself a favor and feel super powerful by moving the shelves.

The left branch is at student’s disposal for lounging and working. Computers and printing are available, plus the tables have electrical sockets built into the tops. This means you can finish your work without people tripping over your charging phone. REVOLUTIONARY.

The natural lighting and quiet atmosphere are perfect for finishing essays and studying. It’s much more peaceful and secluded than any place on main campus.

If you don’t have work to do, Art Building West is a beautiful place to relax. And if anything, take advantage of instant cool cred just from hanging out there.

University of Iowa