Reasons we text our parents in college

Hey Mom…

We are in college now. Being in college comes with a lot of responsibilities, and we like to pretend we can handle it all on our own. After all, we are completely independent adults who know what we’re doing…aren’t we?

Being an adult basically sucks. It all sounds great until your laundry piles up, your desk becomes a mess, and you have no food in the fridge. We aren’t the best at taking complete care of ourselves, so it should be no surprise when we end up texting our moms pretty much every single day.

Is this a color? Or is it a white…ish?

It’s the first weekend of college and time to start my laundry. I’ve got this, easy peasy. But wait.. does this grey shirt go with the darks or the lights? And that yellow towel can be washed with jeans can’t it? I don’t really want to look like a clown because the colors bled; so who do I call?

That’s right, mom it is.

So I bought a new dress yesterday

It’s totally awesome, but the damn thing won’t stay on my shoulders! Can I sew it?

Wait a second I suck at sewing…can I pin it? Will it stab me?

What if I just tie a knot in the straps – that doesn’t look stupid does it?

I think I’m dying…

Mom, I’m sick… My throat hurts, I can’t stop coughing, I just want to sleep. I honestly think I might be dying. If I tell you the symptoms you’ll know what it is won’t you? I mean you’re practically a doctor, right? What medicine do I need?

Can I skip class?

Oh crap I have to pay for things

How do I get a loan?

How do I get an apartment?

I’m attempting to fill out FAFSA but it seriously requires way too much information. What year were you born? What’s your income? Wait, what’s my income again? Oh and I need my social security- number I forgot it.

Maybe you could just fill this out for me…?

Hey Dad…

My car is making a funny noise again. It’s not going to die on me is it?

Yes, of course I remembered to put gas in it. No, none of the dash lights are on. Here I’ll just start it – tell me if you can hear the noise okay?

I need an appointment

Do you a dentist around here? Yes, I know you don’t live here but I figured you’d know. Well, if I find one on Google will you call and make me an appointment? I know I’m 20 Mom but that doesn’t mean I wanna call them…

Can you please do it anyway?

I have no idea what to do with my future

How do I get this degree? If I do, can I get a good job? I don’t know what to do with my life… If I fail I get to live in your basement right?

Just Kidding. Maybe.

Okay, maybe we aren’t THAT pathetic

Maybe we just miss our parents more than we want to admit.

Maybe we make up questions as a way to talk to them.

After living with the same people for 18 years you’re bound to feel a little lost without them; maybe we just want to chat.

Then again…maybe we are

Either way, It’s nice to able to text your mom and dad for anything you need.

Whether you’re stressed, confused, lonely, or just bored- your parents are always there with love and advice.

University of Iowa