Why informal recruitment is the best choice

Formal rush comes with a lot of pressure

Greek life. It was a deciding factor in where I went to school, as much as I hate to say it. But I wanted to be a man of a Greek organization and I wouldn’t let a crummy FSL ruin that. But once formal fall rush came, I was out. I was disinterested, but I always had the thoughts linger in the back of my mind, “Damn, I wish I joined a fraternity,” but shortly after having that thought, my friend, now brother, Jack Brindley invited me to a barbecue his house was holding.

This is where it all started. I wore my most nautically-reminiscent clothing, rehearsed my high school accomplishments, and set off into the world of informal recruitment.

This sounds like a story, I understand. But allow me to explain, this is my argument for informal recruitment having the leg up on formal rush. Purely from a fraternal standpoint, I am completely unaware of how sorority informal/formal work and I know it would eat me alive. For now, the argument begins.

It started in the main room of Lambda Chi Alpha. Where my journey into the Greek life began. I started mingling and connecting with guys, it all felt so easy. And the things I heard about formal recruitment, the cut-throat nature PNMs showed each other was frightening to hear about, and I’m glad I didn’t have to experience it. But the sense of competition wasn’t lost, it was just to a much lesser degree.

I had my now-brother Teddy and Michael at my first official recruitment event, and I felt a little part of me want them to not impress, purely for the fact I thought we were all vying for one spot, but such wasn’t the case. But with being an informal recruit, there’s no set day to get a bid. You’re on edge each day the person who brought you around is near you, the fear of not receiving a bid, the chance they have it in their pocket for you to sign. It’s nerve rattling.

But I wouldn’t want it any other way. The brotherhood I experienced from the beginning is something irreplaceable in my heart. I got the opportunity to talk to everyone, everyone got to know me one-on-one before I even signed. And that’s something I couldn’t be more thankful for. I felt as if I was bidded and signed for the right reasons. And already, with my involvement and my dedication to this group of men who became my brothers I couldn’t see joining any other way.

Since then, I’ve gotten to partake in the recruitment process, assisting our coordinator with his job, like our event at SkyZone in Cedar Rapids, where we were able to find 3 more brothers who found the informal route to be the best.

I don’t know where I’d be without this brotherhood and the care each brother has shown towards me. I love it.

So, I hope you all take my testament with the sentiment I wanted it to have. A second-semester freshman, barely into my own as a student, I have found myself a loving brotherhood for which I could not live without.

University of Iowa