Suspect in Burge Peeping Tom case located

Authorities say charges are pending

The UI Police have confirmed that they’ve located the man who filmed a female student as she was showering in Burge Hall on Monday night.

After releasing photos of the suspect this evening and appealing the general public for help,  the UI Police confirmed he has now been found.

They posted the following statement on their Facebook page:

“We have located the person of interest in connection to the incident at Burge Hall and we would like to thank the public for all their help and assistance!”

Authorities say charges are pending.

A manhunt was initiated after the suspect was caught filming a woman showering in Burge late Monday night. The intruder was originally found to be hiding in a bathroom stall by a cop. After an altercation with an officer, he escaped and fled from arrest.

The surrounding area was canvassed by police to determine that there was no immediate threat to campus.

Following the incident officials released that all locks on bathroom doors are to be changed.

The bathroom stall where the intruder hid

This case is still an active criminal investigation and asks anyone who might have any information to contact the Department of Public Safety at (319) 335-5022.

The original timeline of the evening from Dave Visin, the Interim Assistant Vice President and Director of Public Safety, said:

“On February 15, 2016, at 10:24 p.m. UI Police responded to Burge Hall regarding a complaint of a person videotaping a female student while showering in the women’s shower room. The incident occurred around 9 p.m. The female student confronted the male and left the room. The suspect did not make physical contact with the female student.

“As the police officer was taking the report in Burge, he received information of suspicious activity in a female restroom in the building. Upon investigation, the officer found a male hiding in a stall. When the officer went to arrest the suspect, a fight ensued and the suspect fled the building.

“Multiple officers canvassed the neighborhood and determined there was no immediate or imminent threat to campus. This is an active criminal investigation.

University of Iowa