Burge intruder suspect named as Robert Hightower

23-year-old taken into custody and faces charges of videotaping female student

Robert Hightower, a 23-year-old from Iowa City, has been arrested by campus officials and faces charges of filming a student showering in Burge.

Hightower, who is not a student nor affiliated to the school in any way, faces seven charges relating to the incident, including third-degree burglary which is a Class D felony, assault on a police officer and invasion of privacy, which are both serious misdemeanors.

Photo courtsey of Johnson County Jail

He allegedly told the UIPD he walked around the halls of residence earlier in the day until he found an open dorm door. He then walked into the room when he saw it was empty, found a card wallet and a key ring and removed the women’s restroom key.

He admitted to returning to Burge around 9pm and filming at least one woman showering. In two videos shown to the police, one showed a woman showering and a second showed a woman drying off. The woman’s naked body was said to be visible in each video.

The police said the second clip ends with Hightower being caught by the woman and her yelling.

Felonies can result in a prison sentence, while misdemeanors can only be sentenced to county jail for up to two years.

The UIPD also served Hightower with two warrants from the Coralville Police Department for criminal trespass and another for voyeurism, according to a release.

University of Iowa