Pond hockey is an afternoon-long near death experience

What do you get when you mix a bunch of frat guys and hockey on a Saturday afternoon? A great ass time.

This weekend the men of Phi Kappa Psi held their second annual Cross River Classic to benefit the Holden Comprehensive Cancer center. Currently in its second year, the pond hockey tournament is one of the more unique philanthropy events on campus.

This year, the event had almost a dozen teams participate. We even had an appearance by a large penguin wearing a bowtie.

But hang on, what even is pond hockey?

Well it’s essentially just that. Hockey on a pond.

Teams of 3 play 2, 5 minute halves in a cleared off area of ice. The goals are constructed out of wood and have 2 openings on each side. To score, you have to get the puck in either hole. Simple enough, right?

The tournament featured players of all skill levels, from skating newbies, to former high school JV studs, to legit NHL farm team players.

Can’t play hockey? No problem. Skates were available to rent for those who wanted to embarrass themselves on the ice for a few hours.

I mean, who doesn’t love taking a few hard spills and bruising the ever living shit out of their knees? I personally went home convinced I shattered my elbow.

The day culminated with a heated battle between Phi Delt and Phi Psi in which Phi Delt dominated, winning by at least 7 goals.

Despite the bumps and bruises, a great time was had by all.Freshman Reece Wadle said: “It’s kinda fun to come to a philanthropy event like this. It’s a good change of pace from the typical cookies and coffee things”.

“I’m ass at skating but I still had a blast,” he added as he attempted to remain vertical.

Some were more successful at staying on their feet than others.

Make sure to recover and start working on your hockey dangles because next years classic is only 357 days away.

I promise you won’t want to miss it.

University of Iowa