How to throw an I hate Valentine’s Day party

Turn your self loathing into something productive

Valentine’s Day means different things to different people. For some, it’s excitement over the gifts they’ll receive from their someone special. For others, however, it’s a giant reminder of their single lives – a day of self pity and loneliness.

This year, it’s time to end that sad tradition for all the single people out there. If you don’t have a steady boyfriend/girlfriend, why not celebrate anyway?

At this point, you may be asking how you’re supposed to celebrate Valentine’s Day if you’re single. The answer is actually pretty easy- throw a screw Valentines Day party!

HOW TO THROW AN AWESOME SINGLE PEOPLE PARTY

First things first, send out some invites. Make it clear that this party is bashing V-Day though, wouldn’t want any cute couples showing up.

You’re going to need some supplies. What better way to celebrate being single than wine?

Might as well take part in the candy tradition too.

Just because someone else isn’t sending you heart shaped boxes doesn’t mean you can’t binge eat on holiday sweets!

The night will most likely consist of a lot of movies. Whether they’re romantic or completely ridiculous, Netflix is the way to go.

Just hook up your TV, set out some food, and everyone can enjoy some nice booze and movie time.

V-Day is the perfect time to be a little risky. So throughout the night, text that guy you like – let him know you’re interested. If all else fails you can always say your drunk friend took your phone!

Or, even better, just give your drunk friend the phone- they most likely have some nice pick up lines to throw out.

Want to get a bit crazy? Have a little bonfire in the room. Instead of wood though, every person gets to throw in a picture of a shitty ex and watch it burn.

Play some music, dance, take some shots. Do some crafts, eat food, and be your crazy self. Make a pinata shaped like a heart…and beat the crap out of it with a baseball bat while listening to Beyonce. Be with your friends and have an awesome time. Being single really isn’t bad, you get to have a lot more fun without worrying about a relationship.

When the night’s over, send your friends home with a goodie bag in remembrance of the night. If all goes well, they’ll stay single just so you can do it all again next year!

University of Iowa