My BFFs are my dates on Valentine’s Day and I wouldn’t have it any other way

Who needs a big fancy restaurant and a date when you have great friends and some pizza?

I’m not much for sappy traditions in general, but Valentine’s Day has been a tradition that I put up with for sake of the chocolate and massive stuffed animals. It’s not only a day that should be spent with someone you love, but it’s an excuse to show them just how much you do.

Now, I do not in any way have a significant other, but I love showing the people I’m close to some love on this special occasion. Since I’ve started college, I’ve gained some amazing friends and they’re my number one(s). My “valentine” is my group of friends. We’ve named ourselves “The Shitshows” and we more than just live up to the name. From the nights out that turn into nights in and wine Wednesdays, we’ve created something special.

My friends wouldn’t even blink if I showed up in a trash bag

Despite my love for heels and bright red lipstick paired with a party pony, you can spot me in leggings and big t-shirts on a weekday. I could show up to the door in sweatpants tucked into Uggs with an oversized sweatshirt and my glasses, I would be welcomed by a “Get yourself a drink and come sit” without a single remark about my outfit that resembles the attire of the homeless man asking for money in the ped mall.

We don’t waste our money on fancy restaurants

No matter how much we love sushi or even bar food, we end up ordering a cheese pizza and some cheesy bread. Though this costs money, it is a minuscule amount compared to how much a night out AND Formosa would cost together.

Plus, the cheap pizza makes us just as happy.

We have a mutual understanding on being broke

We’re all poor. College ain’t cheap, kids. And putting up the cash to buy presents isn’t really the best choice when we have books, razors, and pop tarts to buy. Not to mention the trip to a Walmart off campus is quite the time commitment, but the temptations that come from being in a place with basically everything one could possibly need in one store are dangerous.

Valentine’s gifts are much cheaper that night when everything gets marked down to half price.

They’ll put up with me drunk crying

Whether its a song lyric or just random crying, there will always be someone to hand me a tissue and help me fix my mascara.

The soundtrack is always fire

Since I came to Iowa City, my music taste has changed drastically. I went from Arctic Monkeys to Childish Gambino and G-Eazy. But  we never pass up the chance to  sing “That don’t impress me much” by Shania Twain, because my small-town roots made me do it.

I don’t have to worry about getting home safely

I almost never walk home after a night in with my friends. There’s always an air mattress with my name on it.

We could always go to a bar

Some nights may start as  Girl’s Night In and quickly turn into a GNO because we saw someone was having fun and we hit the bars. Clothing is never an issue because yes, leggings are suitable for almost every occasion and we can share shirts.

None of us have a significant other

This is always a plus because we can always count on each other to be up or anything at the last minute. So if one off us gets lonely, the other three will come over and get a little sloppy together.

Because that’s true friendship, right?

University of Iowa