Identifying the senior year scaries: The moment it dawns on you that you’re graduating IU

Do you have the senior year scaries too?

Senior year is just three months away, let the scaries begin.

The senior year scaries are even scarier than the Sunday scaries; you’re not trying to remember – or forget – what you drunkenly did this weekend, you’re trying to figure out what to do with the rest of your life.

Graduating from college begins your life into the unknown; the unknown of getting a job and being cut off from your parent’s credit card, but most of all, the unknown of leaving your home of four years: your university. How will you survive without the traditions of your school that you have been practicing for the last four years? How will you survive adult life?

The senior year scaries affects all college seniors, but what are Indiana University seniors most scared of and will miss the most about their beloved IU?

What will you do without $2 Tuesdays at Roy’s after you graduate?

“Well I’ll probably make it to work on time unlike my 8AMs, so that’s the only positive I can find in that.” – Bri Miles, a healthcare management and policy major

What will you wear instead of cream and crimson on football Saturdays?

“You’ll always find me wearing cream and crimson on football Saturdays!” – Nathan Hack, an elementary education major

What about post-grad life scares you the most?

“I’m most scared of choosing a path that I will end up hating after two years.” – Morgan Galecki, a law and public policy major

What are you doing to prepare for graduation and jobs?

I’m currently studying for the GRE and researching graduate schools and their programs.” – Morgan

Do you feel pressured by your parents to find the best job?

“I don’t feel pressured by them to have the best job, but do feel pressured to find something I love. My parents are both successful business owners and love what they do, so living up to their happiness and success is daunting.” – Morgan

Is there anything on your IU bucket list that you have yet to fulfill?

“Roys open to close!” – Bri

Do you or have you had any internships to prepare you for your future career?

“I interned in Destin, Florida last summer and interned in Indy the summer before that. I’m looking for an internship this summer and my major requires an additional internship the summer after senior year- yay internships!” – Lily Johnson, a hospitality, tourism and event management and marketing major

What will you do with your plethora of KOK shirts?

“Oh I’m never getting rid of those! I’ll need to make a blanket or something.” – Bri

Are you going to brave the senior year scaries again and get your masters?

“Maybe I’ll fail my senior year so I can do a victory lap, but no I won’t get my masters.” – Lily

What will you miss most about IU?

“Going out and then ordering Pizza X pretty much any night that you want to. And the cheap basketball tickets are also a plus.” – Nathan

What advice do you have for IU seniors?

“Enjoy it! I know everyone says that, but make a bucket list of things you still want to do in Bloomington and actually check them off. The year goes by so fast; you are dealing with entering the real world and figuring out the next steps. Don’t forget to be present in every experience. From two dollar Tuesdays to your last first day of school, be fully there. Enjoy all that Bloomington has to offer because it goes by so fast.” – IU alum, Allie Zatkin

How did you deal with the senior year scaries?

“My life motto is, control the things you can control, but it really applies to the stressfulness that is senior year of college and the unknown. Don’t worry about people getting jobs if you still don’t have one. Things fall into place as they should. Stressing out and driving yourself insane isn’t going to help, and you’re not going to enjoy your senior year if you do. Take a deep breath, the real world isn’t that bad.” – Allie

IU