I work as a Disney princess for children’s parties

We make fairytales a reality

Summer grind

As kids, we believe in magic and castles and pixie dust. As we get older, we’re told that these fairytales only exist in our imagination and in movies. I am here to prove that these fairytales are REAL. How would I know? Because I’m a Disney princess.

It’s true, I have the best job in the entire world. I work for a privately-owned company that rents out costumes and dresses of every Disney character you can name. We’re invited to birthday parties, parades, promotional events, and other random shindigs purely for entertainment and enjoyment.

The very beginning

I was referred for this job by a friend of mine who had commonly been the Elsa princess from the Disney movie, Frozen. She was taking a couple weeks off for vacation and needed someone to fill her spot at the parties. I met with her boss who offered me a position as a versatile Disney princess that very day. I covered my friend for those couple of weeks as Elsa and then soon after that was given the Rapunzel position (thanks to my long blonde hair), as well as Cinderella.

The job

A day on the job begins with hair and makeup. Before dressing as any princess, I always spend time YouTubing her hair and makeup tutorials. Sometimes I’ll practice different techniques the night before so that on the day of I’m prepared to do it correctly. Some princesses require more attention to their makeup than others. For example, Elsa wears heavy blush and winged eyeliner, while Rapunzel wears hardly any makeup at all.

Then is the hair. If you’ve never tried mimicking Elsa’s messy, sideways french braid or Cinderella’s glossy updo, just consider yourself lucky. It occasionally takes several attempts. Finally, comes the dress and the shoes. This is generally the easiest part if I’m only one character for the day. However, there have been days when I have to change characters between parties which requires me to strip off the gigantic, pouffy dress in the back of my car and somehow change into a different one… Another daunting task that is only mastered after at least three times. But that’s only the beginning.

Being the life of the party

The real fun begins once I arrive at the venue… What can I say, I’m truly the life of the party. When I step into the room, flocks of little girls run to me like a magnet because in that moment I am making their fairytales a reality.

There is no greater joy than watching their eyes light up and the smiles on their faces. Although getting dressed up and playing games with the kids is a lot of fun, I get to do even more than that. I get to bring their imaginations to life and prove that fairytales can be real and not just in movies.

And I can’t think of any better job than that.

IU summer-grind