What Mother Bears has taught me about life

Lessons that go beyond tomatoes and cheese on baked dough perfection

It is impossible to live in Bloomington, and not crave Mother Bear’s pizza everyday. The deep-dish pizza emporium is well-known around town for all the right reasons. Since 1973, Mother Bear’s has been killing the pizza game. (I haven’t been alive that long, but I’ll take the history books’ word for it.) Not only has Mother Bear’s racked up a lot of street cred in Bloomington, but People Magazine acknowledged their goods as one of “America’s great pizzas.” Now, I don’t need to go on about how great Mother Bear’s Pizza really is because, let’s face it, IU students and alum alike know about the true pizza greatness located on 3rd street. The reality is Mother Bear’s has taught us all lessons that go beyond tomatoes and cheese on baked dough.

There’s nothing wrong with having standards

Mother Bear’s has taught me to never settle for less than the best — not only with pizza, but also in life. Anything in life can be compared to the simple phrase: “Why have Pizza X when you can have Mother Bear’s?” Honestly, anything can fit. For example, that lousy sorta boyfriend of yours. He is Pizza X, and you deserve Mother Bear’s. So, whether it be your personal life or the ingredients in your personal pan pizza, never settle.

Patience is a virtue with white wine sauce on top

Mother Bear’s has also taught me good things come to those who wait. There is something to be said for quick and convenient, and it usually means it lacks quality. Please just think about the time, care, and effort put into every single pizza made in Mother Bear’s kitchen; perfection can’t be rushed. Any good pizza needs some TLC and enough time to bake to perfection. The same goes for your daily life. Perfection takes time, and in the end it is so worth the wait. So whatever it is you’re working towards, treat it like a Mother Bear’s Pizza.

Prima la famiglia

Mother Bear’s has taught me the importance of family, parents mainly. Let’s be real — nine out of ten times, the only time you’re actually eating Mother Bear’s is when your parents are in town to foot the bill. The deliciousness that is Mother Bear’s pizza is worth every cent of its price, but is a tad bit pricey for a broke college student. So thank you Mom and Dad for driving six hours to visit me, and never denying my request for Mother Bear’s — even though “we’ve had it for every meal this visit”.

Friendship and Mother BAErs

Finally, Mother Bear’s has taught me you’ll never really know how many friends you have until you offer to order Mother Bear’s. I swear, people come out of the woodwork if you offer to share your Mother Bear’s. Struggling to make friends? Sit in the Union with a box of Mother Bear’s and a sign that says “Free Pizza” and soon you’ll be the most popular person on campus. (Okay, maybe that work with any kind of pizza because everyone is broke and hungry, but you still get the idea.) And, if all else fails, that box of Mother Bear’s can be your friend because it understands you’ve had a tough day.

So, here’s to you, Mother Bear’s! Thank you for filling our stomachs and our hearts. You’re truly one of the most important teachers I’ve had at IU. Just… don’t tell my actual professors I said that, okay?

IU