I spent Spring Break in my living room and it didn’t suck

I started learning a new language and took up running

It’s that time of the year when people with bikini bodies get super excited, people with wanderlust make elaborate plans to travel other parts of the world, people with a wild spirit plan numerous parties, and — in general — every college kid dreams of a beachy, fun time with friends and strangers. Yep, I am talking about Spring Break.

Spring Break mania on Insta

But then there are a few people like me — broke, tired, and exhausted after a series of tormenting academic pursuits. So how do I choose spend my Spring break?

In simple terms, I decide to spend it as some me-time in the comfort of my home. Perhaps this sounds sad and unexciting to you. I don’t blame you. It’s actually not that bad. In fact, it’s been rejuvenating in a way.

I didn’t have to work all week. No job, no homework. It’s not exactly an exciting thing, but all that free time meant I could do many things I have been wanting to do. And I did just those things. Trust me — it’s been great.

I started learning a new language

Yep, every one out there fancies someone who speaks multiple languages. Learning a language is about so much more than being able to communicate. It gives you a peep into a new culture and opens the door for new experiences. One of my friends likes to say, “Why go to some exotic location when I can hear and learn Spanish right in my living room?” I know, I know… It’s not quite the same as actual traveling. But it is still an amazing thing to start. The fact that I am doing good with my French lessons is inspiring me to plan my next big vacation there.

Bonjour — I am already planning my Paris trip

I nurtured my inner craft fiend

We all have hobbies and talents. Some of us are rock stars, some creative geniuses. I personally enjoy arts and crafts. This break gave a perfect opportunity to pick up on that. It had been quite some time since I created something. You could pursue yours. Believe me, the rush of creating something fabulous is amazing. You could take your inspiration from all the places you wish you were traveling to. Simple DIY’s could turn your sad looking apartment into a pretty dwelling abode.

I personally used crafting to bring a little spring into my apartment

Why spend hundreds of dollars on looking at expensive unaffordable art, when you can turn your place into a masterpiece? For a person like me, a trip to Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, etc. is no less fun than attending a fun party. So get inspired and create on your next vacation.

The week to yourself is great for self-improvement

I also picked up on good habits like running and cooking healthy meals. We all think of doing these things but then work and studies become an excuse we use to never go through with the plans. The break was a perfect distraction-free time to start something. Once you find your groove, you better your chances of continuing even after the break ends. I’ve really loved running, and I am sure to keep it up even once classes resume.

Cooking is therapeutic and fun — host the next dinner party and impress your friends

I was still able to satisfy both my social and solitary needs

I spent a lot of time reconnecting with old friends and it’s great to hear those familiar voices. Encounters with strangers is exciting for sure, but long chats with long lost friends is no less satisfying.

I also spent time journaling and introspecting. Our thoughts gets lost in the noises sometime and it’s nice to find your voice. It might sound a little spiritual but it is really good for you. And of course I did spend time walking through our beautiful campus and checking out new places in B-town.

The campus is so quiet and serene

B-town in all its glory

Although I can’t really compare this with other ways of spending the spring break, I can definitely say that mine was a very peaceful, productive and fun break! Like my peers who are travelling, I too have many stories to share. So next time there is a break coming up and for whatever reasons you don’t want to head out to an exotic adventure, remember that you can have an adventure right in your living rooms.

IU