IU student comedians hold group improv event for charity and upcoming festival

INprov united volunteers from each of the seven troupes and raised donations for Crimson Cupboard

I had the pleasure of going to INprov where I saw wonderful IU students from all of the different comedy groups on campus come together and intermingle in new improv groups for one night. They had me laughing right out of my chair.

In the beginning, I was a bit skeptical of how entertaining they were really going to be, but they completely blew me away. The creativity and precision that they put into each improv scene was flawless as if they really had practiced for that night.  The main reason that we all decided to come to this place on this day was not just for the laughs (though there were many of those to be had). The main reason we were there was for charity.

Throughout my night, I asked the IU comedy community members about their experience doing improv at IU, why they’re doing the event and their favorite thing about all of it.

Jordyn Alexander, sophomore in Media and German, member of Full Frontal Comedy

Jordyn said INprov was put on to promote the IU Campus Comedy Festival coming in April but also for Crimson Cupboard, a charity to help hungry college students who can’t afford food for themselves. People brought food and hygiene products for those in need.

Jordyn is from an improv group called Full Frontal Comedy. For INprov, Jordyn explained: “All seven comedy groups send one or two reps. It’s really cool to work with other groups.”

Jordyn enjoyed getting to work with people from the other groups for organizing the event, performing with the randomized group for the performance and working for the larger goal of putting on IUCCF. Each year the students start setting up various committee positions. Jordyn joined the marketing team and went to board meetings and now is working her way up. She was the official photographer for the event and does marketing for her improv group even though it’s not her major. “It’s good experience as a Media major to promote IUCCF,” she said.

Morgan Burris, senior in Journalism, member of Midnight Snack Comedy and Funny or Die IU

Morgan also helped coordinate INprov and is one of the main organizers for IUCCF: “INprov is an event that promotes IUCCF — a prequel, if you will. Everyone in the comedy community is really excited about IUCCF. It’ll be April 1st and 2nd and will feature performances from all the comedy groups on campus plus groups who have come from all over. IU campus comedians have been breaking their backs to put this show on, and we’re just all really excited to share it with everyone at IU.”

Morgan says the event starts at 6pm on Friday April 1st and 5pm April 2nd. She says there the event entails “two rooms of constant comedy and a festival vibe where people can walk in and out, get some popcorn and check out some fun games and stuff we’ll have set up outside. There’ll be performances from 6-11 in the State Room East and the Whittenberger Auditorium.”

Morgan also runs a college extension of Funny or Die, which is also helping to sponsor the festival. “You can check out more about IUCCF and FunnyOrDieIU by checking out @funnyordieiu on Facebook Instagram and Twitter.”

Ryan Julian, sophomore in Cognitive Science, member of Back Door Comedy

Ryan got involved in comedy when he ran into a friend from high school in the Wright C Store who then begged him to audition that Saturday at 10 AM. “I got a call back and have been part of it ever since,” Ryan said.

To help promote INprov, he walked around campus in stilts and capitalized on the attention “Why not do stupid things to get people to come to events?” he said. Ryan explained his group, Back Door Comedy, and the greater IU community is a family. He goes to other groups shows and hangs out with them. He says they treat him better than some of his own family.

Maria Halloran, sophomore in Business Economics and Public Policy, member of Awkward Silence Comedy

Maria had been going to IU student comedy shows all freshmen year, loved them, auditioned and it worked out. Maria especially loves the relationships she’s built with here fellow Awkward Silence members. “It’s amazing,” she said. “I trust everyone more than anything.”

Mike Blomquist, senior in Telecom and Scriptwriting, member of All Sorts of Trouble for the Boy in the Bubble

Mike is from a sketch group so it’s new that he’s performing improv. When asked about participating in INprov and IUCCF, Mike explained: “Everyone’s just doing this ’cause they love it. At the collegiate level there is a love of just making people laugh.”

Mike and many other members of the IU comedy community see their years at IU as an “isle of time” to practice to be better if they want to make this a profession. “It’s four years to not worry about the money, but to just do improv cause they love it.”

Truly amazing, guys. Thanks for putting on a good show for a good cause!

IU