Tasty tricks to revamp dorm food

I promise it tastes better than it looks

When I first  moved into my dorm room in Wright, I was pissed. It was a sunny August afternoon, and after five fans were rendered useless, I decided to go to the food court. It’s pretty big. That’s the only way people comforted me when I complained to them about living in Wright. Everyone told me it was a big food court. Nobody told me it was the best. Because it isn’t.

The idea of eating pizza everyday is great on paper. Once it’s put into action, many things go wrong. I have now found myself an expert of combining different options from Wright Food Court to make things a little more exciting.

None of what lies ahead is in any way healthy, but it’s tasty.

Pepperoni grilled cheese

What you’ll need: Grilled cheese from Flamingo’s Grill and a pepperoni pizza.

Instructions

Remove all the pepperoni from the pizza — then eat the pizza. Using sliced pepperoni from a C-store is also an option, but then you don’t have any pizza to snack on while you make your pepperoni grilled cheese.

Now open up the grilled cheese sandwich

Now carefully place all the pepperoni inside the sandwich.

At this point you can also add some additional cheese, I like to put some hot sauce (both things are available at the C-store around campus)

Now, if you’re in a dorm that’s equipped with a kitchenette, put the sandwich in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. One of those convection microwave ovens will work too. If you don’t, microwave it for two minutes and leave it to rest for a few minutes. This will ensure that the cheese is nice and melted.

Pimp my fries

As the name suggests, they’re just fries with a few add-ons, but it makes all the difference. The general consensus among people is that one can’t really go wrong with plain fries. I mean, they’re just fried potatoes, right? Wrong.

What you’ll need: Fries, mustard, grilled chicken from Classic Comforts or Amore Ristorante, salt, pepper, hot sauce, mild salsa 

Instructions:

Empty the fries into a bowl or pan.

Cut the chicken breast into small chunks. Season it with salt and pepper. Add mustard, hot sauce and salsa. Add some parmesan cheese. Mix well and then add to the fries.

Now garnish with more cheese (no surprise there).

Give it seven minutes in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit or three minutes in the microwave.

Pancakes and a little more

Now there are two ways to go about this one. You can either get three pancakes from the food court or you could buy the Fast Shake pancake mix from the C-store. Both ways are perfect.

What you’ll need: three pancakes, Nutella , peanut butter, ice-cream

Instructions 

Place one pancake and lather some peanut butter on.

Sprinkle on some broken pieces of a chocolate of your choice.

Now place the second pancake on top. Cover it all up with Nutella.

Top it off with the third pancake. Take a spoonful of ice cream — or the entire pint, it doesn’t matter.

I made my pancakes with the mix and I stuffed it with peanut butter and Nutella, but really all ways work perfectly for this one.

Seriously make-shift tiramisu

Now this ones kind of pushing the limits a bit, but its achievable if you believe in yourself.

What you’ll need: a glass, two cookies (do not try to use sugar cookies, they will melt since they’re basically sugar and butter), black coffee, strawberries/any fruit at all, dark chocolate, cream cheese (substitute: pre-packed cheesecake), sugar 

Instructions 

Dip the cookie in cooled down coffee for a few seconds and push it into the end of the glass

Mix the cream cheese with the sugar until the sugar has dissolved into the cream cheese. Now add a dollop of the cream cheese on top of the cookie and lightly press it.

Break the dark chocolate down to very small pieces and add a thin layer of it to the cream cheese.

Repeat the above steps with multiple layers

Add strawberries or any fruit you like or substitute it with the trusty spoonful of Nutella.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour.

Dorm food can be very boring sometimes but spicing things up isn’t that hard. Of course I’m grateful for everybody who works tirelessly everyday so that we have food to eat. Hungry college students can be scary.

I swear it tastes better than it looks!

IU