Sorority recruitment recap for girls interested in rushing next year

Rush has come and gone, but here’s what to know if you missed it

Every January a parade of hopeful potential new members (PNMs) are escorted to chapter after chapter of IU sororities. They smile but are close to tears as they stand in the cold, continuously talking about themselves as they try to find the chapter that’s the perfect fit for them.

Sorority recruitment — perhaps better known as rush — is a long and tiring process for a massive gaggle of IU freshman and a few upperclassmen. Recruitment lasted from January 6 until bid day on January 19. Here is the lowdown on all things sorority recruitment.

January 6: Orientation

The Panhellenic Council getting ready to greet all the PNMs

Assembly Hall is normally crammed with fans screaming for the basketball team. On this night, Assembly Hall is filled with quiet PNMs as they wait to hear what advice the IU Panhellenic Council has to offer.

Orientation is an introduction to the recruitment process. It serves as a way to tell the hopeful women that everyone is experiencing the same feelings of nervousness and they just have to “trust the process” in order to successfully find their home.

January 7 & 8: Day 1 and 2

My suitemate, Danielle, and I awake bright and early for the first day

The first two days are known as Skit Round in which PNMs are invited into 11 chapters on both days. This round features a skit filled with hilarious pop culture references, such as Justin Bieber and DJ Khaled, and a dance from some of the talented sorority sisters. The end of both days is where the fun starts: the PNMs rank the chapters. Rankings are what make this process stressful. PNMs will list their top 16 chapters in hopes of getting asked back. They will also rank their bottom 6 in case one needs to be bumped up in order for the woman to return to that chapter as well.

Danielle and I showing our excitement for the second day

January 9 & 10: Day 3 and 4

We’re still as excited as ever to go into the third day

The third and fourth day of rush is called the first-invite because PNMs will be invited back to up to 16 of their favorite chapters in order to learn more about the women. This round is very special because it’s the Philanthropy Round. The Philanthropy Round is exciting for the women in sororities because they are showcasing their passion for the charity that they support and will do an activity, like stuffing teddy bears or tying blankets, with the PNMs while trying to get a sense of their charitable passions.

The fourth day of recruitment brought the first snow of the season

January 16: Day 5

My name-tag still intact on the fifth day

The fifth day of recruitment, otherwise known as the Second-Invite or Sisterhood Round, is one of the most important for the hopeful PNMs. The conversations in this round start getting more personal and they’re about deeper topics. Sisters will ask what a PNM looks for in a house and in every round a video is shown which showcases the sisterhood of that chapter.

January 17: Last Day

Hoods are a major key for recruitment

The last day of recruitment is the hardest and most emotional day for most. On this day, chapters will perform their special rituals and share special conversations with PNMs. Once this is done, PNMs will rank the chapters in the order that they would receive a bid from. It’s the hardest day, but at the same time it’s a relief to finally be done with the process.

IU