The real clowns of UIUC are those who can’t tell what season it is

You don’t need face paint to look ridiculous

The clowns may not be the ones receiving all the attention anymore. As the weather begins to change and fall overcomes us, the spotlight lands on someone else.

We’ve all seen it: the one in lecture with sunglasses on or the one walking the quad with a winter hat covering their head when the sun is beating down. We always make notice of it, but do we not know why some people partake in it?

Maybe its a fashion trend that I, among many others, haven’t grasped onto yet.

Or maybe, it’s just plain absurd.

I’m all for expressing yourself through your fashion, but blocking “sunlight” in the lecture hall or wearing shorts when the temperature drops below 50 degrees, will never fail to confuse me.

Although it is technically fall, this weather does throw a curve ball. You leave for class at nine in the morning in the frigid cold and leave your lecture to find the sun shining and people sitting on the quad. You never know what kind of clothing is appropriate and you might find yourself running home to grab a pair of sweatpants. Totally an acceptable reason to be slightly over or under dressed for the weather.

But this awkward transition among seasons is coming to a close, and I’m not sure some people are aware.

I think we can all admit that we have been running late one day where we throw on whatever we find to make it to class in time for attendance. I know I have done this more than enough. In that case, I get it. For any other situation, I find very little reasoning as to why you have a “Suns Out Guns Out” tank top when it’s the middle of October.

As all the UIUC students walk campus nervous of encountering a clown, keep a lookout for the guy dressed like it’s thirty degrees warmer or colder than it actually is. These are the real ones to keep an eye out for. They are not hard to spot either. Just notice the one guy wearing shorts among the cluster of people in jeans or the one rocking a cut off tank top when you have a vest on. The opportunities are endless.

Whatever reasoning you have behind your outfit, work it. I mean, you do you, but I will be dressed appropriately for the weather and will have my real glasses on during lecture.

University of Illinois