Everything freshmen need to know about Illinois Football

Please wear orange

As a freshmen in 2016, your expectations are probably higher than many that have come before you. Football at Illinois hasn’t been something to brag about in recent years, but with a new athletic director, Josh Whitman, steamrolling the athletic programs forward, you may want to invest in season tickets.

2016 may just mark the beginning of an Illinois legacy with new head coach Lovie Smith. In past years going to a football was just a tradition for Illinois students, with no hopes of winning a game, more students probably attending the infamous tailgates rather than the actual game.

It seems that the university is pushing for high attendance at the first football game this season by offering students two free tickets. So since you already have your tickets, here’s everything you need to know in preparation for your first game:

Wear orange or wear nothing at all

Probably the simplest thing you can do, not wearing orange might be the most idiotic thing you can do.

Bring a friend, you don’t want to get lonely

The university is giving you two free tickets, use this as an opportunity to bond with your new dorm mate or ask out the cute freshmen girl you noticed down the hall.

Take pride in the marching band

Our football team may have not always had the best track record, but our marching band has. Take the time to memorize the lyrics to these three songs: Oskee-Wow-Wow, Illinois Loyalty, and Hail to the Orange.

Walk around Memorial Stadium, it’s pretty epic

There’s plenty of cool stuff like the Red Grange Statue which also now has it’s own grove, Grange Grove. Watch the football players enter the stadium before the game two hours before kickoff. The large pillars that have names of those who lost their lives fighting in World War I.

Become a Block I member, it’s a bargain

For just $60 you can have season tickets and once in a lifetime experience where you’ll meet lots of students just like yourself, who bleed orange and blue. It also invites you to tailgates, offers free food and other benefits.

Go to tailgates, they’re almost as important as the game

This is where you’ll see tons of students, drunk dads, and blacked out alumni. You’ll probably learn a thing or two about how to drink a beer or how to properly play bags, plus there’s almost always free food somewhere.

If someone yells I-L-L, return an even louder I-N-I

Do this, or you may as well be cheering for the other team

University of Illinois