Things every NJ’er will hear at U of I

It’s Jersey, not Joyseeee

I’m from a little state on the edge of our country called New Jersey. Some of you may have heard of it. Every new person I meet has us repeating the same few lines. “What year are you?” “Freshman” “What’s your major?” “Aerospace Engineering.” “Where do you live?” “Hopkins – the six pack” “Where are you from?”

“New Jersey”

I know what you were expecting. A suburb of Chicago or perhaps the town itself. You’ve just encountered a rare specimen in this part of the state: the out-of-state student. Every person’s reaction to this revelation is different, but here are some entertaining responses.

This was my profile picture for a solid two months

You mean Joysee?

Nah, I’m from New Jersey. Don’t know what state you’re talking about. Speaking seriously, I’ve met literally zero people who pronounce it like that.

Like, Jersey Shore-Jersey?

Well, not in my case, no. I’m a bit far from the ocean, actually. I think a few people here are from Atlantic City or some . . . Oh, you mean the TV show? That show is an abomination to the entire state and we’re still reeling from the negative effects. That being said, it’s a fun show to watch when you want to feel smart.

What brought you to Illinois?

In my case it’s the Engineering school, and I’ve found that’s the case with most of us. I’ll let you in on a little secret – we all just wanted to leave New Jersey.

Damn, ratchetville

Yeah, a lot of New Jersey is pretty sketch. You’ve got Newark, Camden, parts of Atlantic City and a whole lot more.

Something something something Chris Christie

As you can see in the photo above, I’m actually quite a fan of him, but not for political reasons. Yeah, he’s our fat governor that everybody loves to hate and hates to love. Let’s talk about Illinois’ governo . . .  Oh, you left already.

Are you in the Mafia?

The Mafia? How ludicrous! On a separate point, are you looking for some protection in your drug trafficking operation?

University of Illinois