What’s the best restaurant on Green Street?

In college, spare money=food

Green Street is well known by students for its wide variety of restaurants. Whether or not you’re a fan of all of them, these six restaurants have personalities all of their own.

Maize

If you like your burritos without a side of E. coli (sorry Chipotle, still love you), Maize is the right spot for you. The hike to get there may be a bit of workout, but it’s definitely worth it to have actually authentic Mexican food. And, for all of you late night folks, Maize is open till nine at night, so if you fail at adult-ing and are still doing your homework late into the night, you can eat half your burrito at 9pm and the other half at 3am. My recommendation is a chicken burrito with nachos, because nachos go well with everything.

Antonio’s 

Let’s be honest, affordable pizza is something everyone needs. But Antonio’s doesn’t just offer your traditional cheese, pepperoni, and sausage – they serve over 15 different types of pizza. Just when you thought mac and cheese pizza would never exist, dreams finally come true. As a Chicagoan, I have to say their pizza is pretty much on par with what I’ve had in the past. TBH, even if you’re currently on a diet, veggie pizza at least sounds healthy and my “semi-vegetarian” roommate suggests the pepper and onion pizza.

McDonald’s

The two best times to go to McDonald’s are either (a) when you’re totally broke or (b) when you’re totally broke and drunk. If you need another reason, McDonald’s now has mozzarella sticks. McDonald’s life hack: if you’re with a friend (or just by yourself because you’ve lost all control), order a 20 piece McNugget because it’s hella cheaper than a 10 piece. McDonald’s can also surprisingly be a great source of entertainment. The later you go, the more interesting it gets. And remember, it’s almost March, so yay for Shamrock Shakes.

Sushi Rock 

Okay first off, does anyone remember how the show Zoey 101 had a sushi restaurant with almost the same exact name? Anyway, before you say you’re not a “sushi person” or “I don’t eat raw food,” the presentation of Sushi Rock’s dishes will definitely change your mind. The rolls literally look like artwork. With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, this would be the perfect restaurant to bring your valentine, if you have one. After eating here, you’ll most likely want sushi way more times a week than you already do.

Panda Express

Although their ordering system IS very efficient, it just feels like there are always three people ahead of you at Panda. I mean, is it just me? Panda Express is one of those places where you can always order the same food and never really look at the menu. If you’re afraid of heights though, I don’t recommend sitting on the second floor. The best part is you can let a cookie decide your future at the end!

Bangkok Thai

At first, I wasn’t exactly sure if I would even like Thai food. Now I know it’s pretty much the bomb dot com. If you’re afraid your order will be too spicy, no worries. Before you order you can rank how spicy you want your food on a scale from one to five. Bangkok Thai is the best place to be if you’re short on money or time or both. All orders are typically under $10 and ready in about five minutes. Stopping here for lunch would be the perfect opportunity to break your three day McDonald’s streak.

University of Illinois