Harvard is really just an elite dating site

Admit it

I was sitting in a lecture hall listening to one of Harvard’s most world-renowned professors speak, when he made a joke.

And the punchline? “Harvard is where you go to find your spouse.”

In other words, Harvard is your own version of Tinder, eHarmony or maybe even Christian Mingle. Needless to say, I was immediately put off by his lack of appreciation for the honest scholars among us who really are just looking to graduate college with a high enough GPA to work in consulting…or banking…or both.

But actually, he’s probably right.

According to data compiled by Facebook, 28 percent of people using the social media site marry someone who went to the same college they did. And that makes perfect sense. After all, 8s marry 8s and 10s marry 10s. I only bring this up to suggest that people typically look for partners who are just as good as they are. So it would make sense for two people who are on the same intellectual level, as a result of receiving the same kind of education, to marry each other.

So what does that even mean? Does every Harvard student have a secret agenda to find a possible spouse before they leave? Probably not. But I’ve probably thought about it once or twice.

In all seriousness, if what Facebook analysts say is true, then you’d be well-advised to start looking.

As you might have guessed, the library might be a good place to start.

Harvard