The best places to cry on campus

Without being photographed by tourists

This your helpful guide for when it all gets a bit much.

Back of Annenberg Hall

This place is perfect for those of you too ashamed to cry openly on campus. Open up your laptop, spread out those psets, and cry. People’ll just assume you’re “doing work” like the other five people spread across nine tables. If you’d like some company, go during CS50 office hours. There’ll be plenty of people around and you still won’t be acknowledged.

The Larsen Room, Lamont Library

The Larsen Room was made for noise and procrastination, and since you’re hyperventilating and pretending your responsibilities have disappeared, you belong in it. Jump onto one those of those big red chairs, or use one of the whiteboards to figure out where everything went wrong this week. Better yet, connect your phone to a computer screen and bond with strangers over Yik Yak. You can’t be sad forever.

Harvard Yard Starbucks

Remember when you used to drink hot chocolate when you were sad? Well, you’re in college now and caffeine is your only best friend. Practice the multitasking you could really have used this week by sipping a chai and shaking uncontrollably.  And remember, Harvard Yard Starbucks is a Crimson library which doubles as a coffee shop and not the other way around.

Beanbag Alley, Langdell Library

Sometimes you just need a hug, and while your CA should not might not give you one, one of several beanbags at the Law School’s library will give you as many as you need. Just take the elevator to the fourth floor and spend 15 minutes looking for the bridge to the Lewis Hall stacks.

The beanbags are made of leather so you don’t have to worry about your mascara, snot, or alcoholic beverages leaving behind stains. That way, you’ll now have something in your past can actually forget about.

The Science Center

Just had math section or LS-whatever lecture and a need somewhere to fall apart for 15 minutes? Luckily for you, you don’t have to go far. The Science Center offers two prime locations for you to drown in a pool of your own tears:

1) The Math Lounge

Yes, I know Math 21a is the reason why you’re crying and yes I know it seems dumb to surround yourself with the very thing that’s hurting you. But have you ever thought about taking revenge?

This sunlit, fourth floor common room was designed to bring happiness and joy to the Math Department, and your tears and howling will remind your TF fractions aren’t the only things doing a “partial decomposition”.

2) The basement of Cabot Library

With dim lighting, dust, and the shadows of empty stacks, the basement of Cabot Library has the right feel for any crier. With two “group study rooms” and a few cubicles, this gem has more to offer than just plain sadness. And feel free to howl as loudly as you want, because chances are no one else will be there.

Behind the John Harvard Statue

The last place you’d think about crying is the John Harvard statue. But when you realize you can’t make it back to your House without breaking down, you’ll consider it. Just make sure you sit behind the statue so the tourists don’t bring back a real picture of campus to their homelands. Yes, it smells like piss, but you’ve cried on the floor of too many bathrooms to care.

Harvard