BNOCs of the week: Adrienne Jarocki and Aliya Itzkowitz

Adrienne and Aliya are this week’s big names on campus

This week in BNOCs, The Tab met fencers Adrienne Jarocki and Aliya Itzkowitz, the deadliest duo at Harvard.

Both have made the finals of NCAAs for fencing and both have been captains of the Harvard Fencing Team. The two epitomise the saying, “looks can kill”.

Friend or foe?
Aliya: So we’ve actually known each other since before Harvard. We went to international comps when we were 13ish. At first, we were obviously competitors.

Adrienne: Yeah, when we compete we strive to make each other better and give each other tips in practice.

Have you ever sabotaged each other with bad tips?
Adrienne: Haha, never! Who do you take us for!

Do you think professors grade you leniently knowing you could end them with a saber?

Aliya: Well people are always like, “Oh, fencing cool!” But deep down they’re probably like, “Shit! Be nice and don’t let her near knives.”

So what’s the most intimate moment you guys have shared?
Adrienne: Well, we always share a room when travelling, so lots of late night pillow talks.

Do you think guys are more turned on or scared of your lethal skills?
Adrienne: Fencing’s a hot sport. End of.
Aliya: I reckon people think it’s a cool sport… but yes a little intimidating maybe!

Yeah, guys like a girl who can handle a sword.
Aliya: Yeah, exactly!

Does Aliya’s accent ever get on your nerves?
Adrienne: Haha, nah I just find it funny sometimes.

Aliya: What! It’s way funnier when Adrienne speaks in polish to her mum on the phone…it’s hilarious.

Favourite night out?
Both: HFT parties, dancing on tables!

Fun facts

Aliya is a Londoner! #British

Adrienne is known by her teammates as the pterodactyl for her tendencies to screech while fencing. #Sharapova

Both Aliya and Adrienne dated guys in The Fly. #goodtaste

Harvard