Tourists never stop taking pictures of me because I live on the first floor

Hollis ’19 forever

Ever dreamed of being photographed for Vogue? Or harassed by paparazzi on the red carpet? Welcome to Hollis.

And who’s the paparazzi here? The tourists obviously. Let me explain.

I often peacefully sit by my window to work. Peacefully until a tourist passes by, stops right in front of me, snaps a picture and serenely walks away.

And if you, unluckily, forget to close the shutters while getting dressed, chances are you just became the new Kim Kardashian. I am telling you, they have no shame.

I just sit here working peacefully

And shameless tourists just stroll up to take my picture

But then again, pictures of me are now in family albums all around the word. Way to be famous! And I sometimes even have the honor to be asked for a selfie. On how many Instagram pages have these selfies been posted? I don’t even want to know.

The daily tsunami starts at sunrise and ends at sunset. But don’t be fooled: quiet doesn’t settle in just yet. It actually never does, especially during the weekend. You eventually learn to differentiate between shitfaced people running around the Yard and early risers heading to Annenberg for breakfast. Be grateful for the little things: just three hours of complete silence per night.

Now enough with looking at the glass half-empty, it actually is half-full as well. Perk number one: the size of the room.

It’s not all bad

Living in the first room to the right has its advantages. Buzz yourself in and you’re already in bed! Luggage? Groceries? Heavy laundry bags? No need to worry about the stairs. Waking up a few minutes before class starts? No need to panic. No need to run. You always make it on time. Unless you’re like me and it takes you an hour to pick an outfit.

And then, who wouldn’t want to have front row tickets to the best entertainment venue: the Yard (the heart of early morning walks of shame). Who wouldn’t enjoy finding a late night snack by their window? Funny fact: A stranger offered me chips at 3am.

Downside: he couldn’t hand them to me because of the mosquito net. Upside: He had the kindness to leave it by my window. Generosity hits when you’re drunk.

Outside Hollis

Bff

Oh, and had I lived in Hollis in the 1800s. Henry David Thoreau would’ve probably been my bff.

Hollis ’19, don’t get me wrong, your place is in my heart: there’s nowhere I’d rather be.

Harvard