Anti-Semitic graffiti found at Georgetown Jewish Center

‘Together we condemn acts of hate and celebrate our global community’

A campus-wide email was sent out to Georgetown students this morning notifying them that anti-Semitic graffiti was found last night in a public bathroom near the Makom Jewish Gathering Space.

Georgetown said they deem the act “unacceptable, antithetical to what we stand for as a university, and has no place on our campus.”

GUPD is reportedly investigating the incident in coordination with the DC Metropolitan Police Department.

If you have a photo of the graffiti, please send it to The Tab Georgetown.

Here is the email in full:

Dear Members of the Georgetown University Community,

We write to inform you of the recent report of a bias-related incident on campus. Anti-Semitic graffiti was found last night in the public restroom adjacent to the Makom Jewish Gathering Space, located in the north-side of the Leavey Center.

We strongly condemn this act of hate. As a Catholic and Jesuit university, we are committed to fostering a community that is welcoming to people of all faiths and that values diversity, inclusion and respect. This act of anti-Semitism and hate is unacceptable, antithetical to what we stand for as a university, and has no place on our campus.

The Georgetown University Police Department (GUPD) is investigating this incident, increasing patrols across campus, and coordinating with the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department (MPD). If you have any information about this incident, please report it to GUPD by calling 202-687-4343 or emailing [email protected]. You can report any bias-related incident through the Bias Reporting System at biasreporting.georgetown.edu.

As always, counseling and Campus Ministry staff members are available, and we encourage anyone who may be in need of these services to take advantage of them:

• To schedule an appointment with CAPS (Counseling and Psychiatric Services), students may call (202) 687-6985 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., MondayFriday. In the event of an urgent need after hours, call (202) 444-7243 and ask for the CAPS clinician on call.

• The Office of Campus Ministry is available to all students during business hours by calling (202) 687-5259. In addition, chaplains in residence may be reached after hours by calling (202) 677-0361.

• The Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP) can provide free confidential counseling and referral services to faculty, AAPs and staff. For more information, visit http://hr.georgetown.edu/fsap or call (202) 687-2396.

We stand with our Jewish community and any campus community that experiences acts of bias. Together we condemn acts of hate and celebrate our global community, which is made stronger by our religious, cultural and international diversity.

Sincerely,

Rev. Howard Gray, S.J.

Interim Vice President for Mission and Ministry

Todd A. Olson, Ph.D.

Vice President for Student Affairs

Georgetown University