An ode to Lauinger Library, the best study spot at Georgetown

Forget well-lit and comfortable study environments

Lauinger Library. Nothing gives me more joy than walking towards the 1970s brutalist interpretation of Healy Hall in high spirits, mild psychosis due to the high levels of caffeine running through my bloodstream, and excitement to write my Philosophy paper.

Despite the grey color and ominous aura of the library, I remind myself never to judge a book by its cover – for what lies inside Lauinger Library is beyond my wildest dreams.

The floor I choose to spend my study time depends on the day, mood, and the amount of work I have to complete. If I’m going in for a quickie, the place to be is the Lau Stacks on the fourth floor. If I’m looking for some seclusion and quiet time, finding a spot in the middle of the stacks, on the cold, hard floor, with books satisfying my every need, is ideal. Sometimes, I will bring a friend along.

There are days where I will choose to go to the Pierce Reading Room on the third floor, where the smell of angst, stress and old volumes of books is the just the kind of motivation I need to power through.

However, the heaven of all heavens, the place that I can forever rely on, is the wasteland that is Lau 2.

The second floor of Lauinger Library is essential when finding the right balance between complaining about all the work I have to complete, and actually completing it.

The lighting eerily reminiscent of a psychiatric ward, the voices of young undergrad a cappella groups inappropriately singing, and the music blasting from Midnight Mug which always manages to get me jiving in my seat makes Lau 2 prime real estate.

Why would anyone ever want to spend their time studying in the snazzy, modern MSB, or the warmly lit, cozy Bioethics library, when you could have access to unlimited overpriced coffee, 24 hours of unproductivity, and a guaranteed social life?

While it’s difficult to get a table in the middle of all the action during the later hours of the evening, I always make sure to find someone I know (which usually works out), because being the center of attention is always ideal when trying to get some work done (also, because it’s terrifying to sit in a cubicle and not know who is sitting next to you).

There is no better place to develop long-lasting relationships, as you and your friends pull all nighters, fall in and out of hysteria and struggle to meet the minimum page requirement on your papers.

Regardless of the day, I know that I can always rely on Lauinger Library.

That moment of accomplishment when I leave the library at 5am with broken dreams and dark, deep circles under my eyes, but also with a completed Philosophy paper and my best friend, I know the love affair between Lauinger Library and myself will never be broken.

Georgetown University