A Georgetown Brit compares the Hilltop to abroad life in Madrid

I actually miss Cities (RIP)

As an English student studying abroad in Madrid at La Universidad Pontificia Comillas, I thought my study abroad life would be like a taste of home in Britain.

But its felt foreign, as I’ve realized life at the Hilltop has become my home and my comfort.

The biggest change in my university life here is that you have free time, an unknown concept to most back on the Hilltop.

After only four months I would say that I know more about Madrid than I do about DC in two years.

Madrid nightlife wins hands down compared to Georgetown, I have ‘learnt’ to play pool through pre-gaming at bars starting at midnight (if you arrive beforehand, you’re the only person there) and then heading to Gabana, Pacha or Kapital where the dancefloor remains crowded until the club closes at six. Then you stumble out onto the metro, which has just opened.

Unfortunately the Spaniards don’t quite appreciate my moves as much as (I think) people do back in DC.

Weirdly, I actually miss Cities (RIP) where you are jostled around the dancefloor from one sweaty person to the next, but it’s fine because every direction you turn you know someone. This worked great for me, as it convinced people I was a rager when in reality I’d only go out once a week and see everyone I needed to there.

Similarly, you can’t say you’re at Georgetown if you haven’t spent a night dancing on the tables to Latino music at Crepeaway. Some may get annoyed they don’t understand the words and that by standing next to a Latino dancing, you look like a piece of jelly wobbling around instead of sexily salsa-ing (like I do). But without any late night food except McDonalds here in Madrid, I am craving having a Nutella crepe made for me by a friend after waiting for half an hour.

The next difference is classes. In Madrid, all my classes are in Spanish, which for me means I can no longer spend that time on Facebook, BuzzFeed, or online shopping.

You only have to get 50 percent to pass your courses – and unfortunately in most classes, your final exam is the only thing that counts. So if you have a bad day on the final, tough luck!

I definitely prefer the American system – yes, you have constant work and yes, I spend my days in Lau. But I actually miss being intellectually stimulated by the incredible professors we have on offer.

I miss heading to Midnight every hour for twenty minutes as a “well-earned” break for my chocolate raisins and caramel latte, or making friends with the security guard on duty as I head out for a cigarette break without my GoCard and have to sweet talk my way back in (or be shouted out and threatened to call the police for using my British license because it looks too much like a European fake).

While Madrid has been an amazing opportunity and I would recommend it to anyone, I am excited to head back to the Hilltop and be reunited with my friends, Wisey’s Oreo cookies, and to find a new Cities.

Georgetown University