In memory of Andrew Sun: A young man taken too soon

He had a big smile and even bigger heart

On Friday October 27, 2017 the world lost a wonderful man with an even greater smile. He was involved in an accident early Thursday evening when he was hit on his scooter crossing Chapel Drive and West Call Street. After being rushed to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital he fought hard but lost his battle Friday morning. Andrew Sun was not only an FSU student, Campus Recreation employee, and friend, he was the guy that everyone knew and the reason for everyone's smile.

To friends, he was always the type of guy who would genuinely care how you were doing when he’d ask, he was a force to be reckoned with on the basketball court, and impacted every single life he touched.

Image may contain: Crowd, Person, People, Human

Andrew (in the middle) after completing a Spartan Race.

He truly lived his life to the fullest and followed the motto “live so death has nothing to steal." Every day was a new chance to do something amazing, even if it was just to make his friends and family happy.

He leaves behind his parents and an older brother, but his friends have been deeply impacted as well.

"He always had a big smile and bigger heart, whether it was at work, studying or playing ball," said Mitch Recinos, a close friend of Andrew. The Campus Recreation family lost an important member that day and will never be the same without him.

Image may contain: Tuxedo, Suit, Overcoat, Clothing, Human, Person, People

Andrew (second from the left) attending the Campus Recreation in Spring 2017.

Stories about Andrew always involve a kind act, like when he forgot it was his co-worker’s birthday and after leaving from his shift, returned to work just to give him a birthday hug. Or even when he just gave you some words of encouragement to get you through the week, they always seemed to work.

Andrew is a special type of person that's hard to come across. Everyone who knew him is that much luckier because they have been impacted by a soul who was truly kind, loving and light hearted. For that we are eternally grateful, and are safe knowing he is watching over us.

Florida State University