HCB evacuated due to possible fire

News broke from a students Facebook Live feed

Tuesday night at approximately 7:00pm sirens sounded at HCB. Students trying to go to evening classes were mandated by FSUPD to evacuate the building due to possible fire.

Police began to lock building doors once the auditoriums were cleared and fire trucks arrived soon after. Firefighters approached the scene with axes in hands.

This all occurred during a severe thunderstorm warning.

Senior, Mitchell Geezil, went live on Facebook to document the events. For much of his video he was unsure as to what was going on, but a clear and constant siren can be heard throughout the feed.

“There were firefighters and police officers. We were evacuated from our classes, then told to go back into HCB because of the storm, then were told to go back outside because the building was on fire. The air smelled like burning rubber and burnt popcorn. I thought I was in the purge. I didn’t know what to do in the hysteria, so I started fundraising on Facebook Live for Dance Marathon (which is in 17 days). Also, the sirens later ceased 45 minutes in, and the threat was over.”

Florida State University