FSU junior Joe Pelt reflects on his research trip to Ghana

‘Everyone lives in the present moment’

Every day at Florida State, students feel inspired by their surroundings. Joe Pelt is no exception. Joe is an upcoming junior at Florida State University, born and raised in Perry, FL. He is studying Biology in hopes of becoming a doctor.

Joe has always been passionate about those in need, and when he learned that thousands of African people in Ghana live without fresh drinking water, he decided to join a group of scholars from FSU to go to Ghana and do research in their community. This is his story.

What was your first impression of Ghana when you arrived?

I had mixed emotions upon arriving in Ghana. Upon boarding my flight from JFK to Accra, Ghana’s capital, I felt out of place, as I was one of the few Americans out of hundreds of people. Despite my feelings, I settled into the environment quickly.

I remember getting off of my plane, stepping foot on Ghanaian soil for the first time, and being greeted by organization host founder Richard Anku. I have wanted to go to Africa since I was eight years old. I couldn’t believe I was finally here.

We arrived at Richard’s friend’s home, a family of four. The son’s name was Joe, the daughter’s Stella, the father’s Michael and the mother’s Rebecca. I spoke with Mrs. Rebecca for some time about Ghana, then she turned the conversation and asked me many questions about the United States.

“So if you don’t pay your taxes then someone will just come and kick you out of your home? That’s not freedom…Joe, Ghana is a free place. It is the land of peace.” This represents the main thing I learned about Ghana the first few weeks I was there: Ghanaians love Ghana.

Driving to Accra, we were stopped by a policeman for regular checks (this is normal in Ghana). He asked, “Why are you here?” I responded, “A few of my friends came to Ghana and told me it is amazing, so I wanted to come.”

“What do you think of Ghana? Describe it in one word.” “Um…Free.” “Another word?” “Close…families seem to be closely knit here.” I passed his test and he responded, “Good! When you go home, preach Ghana to your people.” I asked almost everyone I met what their favorite thing about Ghana is and nine out of ten people responded, “Ghana is peace.”

How was Ghana different culturally from the United States?

Community is more important to those in Ghana. I became closer with people who I knew for only three months than people I have known for my entire life in the United States. I was hanging out with Richard and his wife, Precious, when a man walked by and gave them 20 cedis. I asked, “What is he paying you for?” They told me, “For nothing. He is happy, so he gave us money.”

Funerals are a time of celebration; people party at funerals. Going to funerals was actually one of my favorite events in Ghana.

How did your relationships in Ghana differ from those in the United States?

I spent much more quality time with my friends in Ghana than I do in the United States. I was sick for a day and my neighbor, Gertrude, walked to my house and she looked sick as if someone had died. I asked her what was wrong with her and she said that her day was horrible because she was worrying and praying about me all day.

There were far fewer distractions there than in the United States. People tended not to idolize work or their cell phones, and no one worried about tomorrow. Everyone lived in the present moment.

Did your time in Ghana change the way you view life now that you are back in Tallahassee?

Absolutely. I learned to be grateful for what I have instead of focusing on what I don’t have. This has changed my life. I am also more critical of volunteer opportunities and experiences now. I met a few people in Ghana who were on mission trips for one or two weeks and wanted to have this “enormous impact” on the “poorest of the poor.”

Volunteer work should be more about immersing yourself into someone else’s culture and learning from them, rather than having such high expectations of what you will be able to accomplish.  I met people in Ghana who reflect the character of Jesus more than anyone I have ever met in Tallahassee.

What’s the number one thing you took away from the experience?

The number one thing I took away from my experience is to love and sacrifice for my friends and family. I received many gifts upon my departure back to the United States. The church I went to took up an offering for me and had a shirt tailored for me. Richard and Precious made me a scarf that I will keep until I die. All of these people sacrificed for me. I was aware that these were legitimate sacrifices. I will forever be impacted by the love and generosity that I experienced from my fellow Ghanaians, and I am desirous of implementing this sacrificial mentality to my friends and family in Tallahassee.

Florida State University