Tim Kaine comes to Florida State

Tim Kaine paid his second visit to Tallahassee, this time to the home of our Florida State Seminoles

The Democratic Vice Presidential nominee spoke yesterday at the Oglesby Union State Ballroom. With his previous visit to Florida A&M University, it was the same energy felt around the crowded room. Inam Sakinah, a TEDx speaker and creater of the “Power of We” movement, opened and spoke about the concept of “We.” She spoke of how Hillary Clinton is treading the path aimed at breaking through the “final glass ceiling.”

Astronaut Mark Kelly talked of his 4 space launches from Florida. He let everyone know that it was an “incredible opportunity to put Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine in the White House.” Captain Kelly also commented on Donald Trump’s claims that he “knew more than the generals.” He responded, “I know a little bit about strategy, and I’d never assume I would know more than Generals or Admirals.”

Former Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords also commended Hillary, saying that “She is tough, courageous, and will fight to make our families safer in the White House.”

The last to speak was the Vice Presidential nominee. He began by thanking the previous speakers and went on about the important of early voting. “Polls can be wrong, early voting gives you actual results. We can make our decisions based on real data, If you early vote it lets us know how this race is looking and what we need to do.”

The VP hopeful also poked a bit of fun at the sunshine state, saying that Florida is always “toying with us every election”. He went on to say “If Hillary Clinton wins Florida, Hillary Clinton will be President.” The statement was met by an uproarious applause from the crowd. The most boos seemed to come from a recent comment Trump made about only accepting the results of the election if he wins. Senator Kaine touched on key points in this election, including  jobs, college debt, and equality. One big announcement he made was an initiative to install an automatic voter registration system for new voters once they reach the 18.

Senator Kaine became visibly emotional when recounted his visit to Pulse night club in September with Gabby Giffords, a shooting survivor herself. He spoke passionately about gun reform and teared up when he gave his account of the day Virginia Tech became the site of a school shooting.

In his closing remarks, he reminded voters exactly how he planned to win the election. “We like the way it looks right now, but we can’t take anything for granted. [This election] has been a season of surprises. Donald Trump is not going to accept responsibility if he loses. We oughta win big to convince him that the system is not wrong. Hillary is trying to do something that’s never been done.”

The Tab spoke to a few students about the candidates, why they’re voting the way they are, and their position on Tim Kaine.

Hunter Bell, Junior, Florida State University

Why do you think Hillary Clinton would be fit for the Presidency?

I personally believe she understands the mindset of more rational American citizens.

Why do you think Tim Kaine is better for the Vice Presidency vs Pence?

His policies appeal to a majority whereas Pence’s are not as understanding and a bit narrow.

Brenda Ball, Sophomore, University of Alabama

Why do you think Hillary Clinton is fit for the Presidency?

Well firstly, she’s the most experienced person to run. She was first lady then Secretary of State. Her experience speaks for herself.

Why do you think Donald Trump is unfit for to be President of the United State?

His inexperience. I know a lot of other people say “well he isn’t a politician and that’s what we need.” That’s actually not what we need. I would want someone who has experience and the capability to do the job correctly.

Why did you come all the way from the University of Alabama to here in Tallahassee?

A lot of us from Alabama came down to help support the campaign. Being that Alabama is a red state we plan on voting Democrat and came down to help in Florida, a very important swing state.

Florida State University