What it’s like attending college with Type 1 diabetes

It doesn’t have to control you

On October 3, 2013, my entire life changed. I was sitting in a hospital bed, when I heard a doctor tell me that I am a Type 1 Diabetic. Also called juvenile diabetes since it is commonly diagnosed in children or young adults, Type 1 Diabetes is when a persons body does not produce insulin, for no known reason, so their blood sugars become uncontrollable. But Type 1 Diabetes does not define me. I can still do anything I want, I can eat anything I want, as long as I give myself insulin for the amount of carbs in my food.

Looking at me on campus, I don’t “look” like I’m diabetic. I look like the average college freshman, shy and maybe a little awkward. But if you look closely, you might see a bump underneath my clothing, or a white pod on my arm or leg. That’s my insulin pump. My insulin pump has changed my life and the lives of many others tremendously. Instead of giving ourselves shots, we can wear a tiny device that gives us insulin all day, and whenever we need it to. Most of them come with a meter that allow us to check our blood sugars, so that we can properly administer insulin, and make sure that we’re okay.

Adjusting to college was a little hard in the beginning, because I was diagnosed while still living with my parents, and my mom is the one who always helped me with everything diabetes related. After moving to college, I suddenly had to go to CVS and refill prescriptions myself, or make sure that I was stocked up on sugar tablets and juice boxes for when my blood sugar went low.

Another problem I faced while I was new to campus was letting my friends know I was a diabetic. I found it hard to tell people, because people can be quick to draw to incorrect conclusions. I’ve found that most people in college have met another diabetic before, and they understand that you need to check your blood sugar or that you’re not you when your blood sugar is off the charts. Tell your friends, tell your professor, tell your advisor if you want to, but people need to know so that you stay safe.

For any Type 1 Diabetic who is about to enter college, I suggest talking to your doctor about how to adjust to a new area. My family lives in New Jersey, and I go to school in Florida, so talking to my doctor and nurse before I left really helped me in the adjustment process. If you’re a diabetic on campus, register with your disability center- it will be very beneficial if you ever have a blood sugar issue during an exam, or need to eat something during class!

November is Diabetes Awareness Month. This is the time that Type 1 Diabetics know that they aren’t alone. One of the friends that I have made in college is another Type 1 Diabetic, and it’s great to have someone to talk to that can relate to what I go through. Finding a support system of friends and other diabetics in college is really beneficial, and has helped me adjust to being away from home.

College is tough, and if you have diabetes, it can be even more challenging. But you should always remember to fit diabetes into your life, and not yourself into diabetes.

Florida State University