I spent a whole day in my costume, 2 weeks before Halloween

The looks I got were of the ‘wtf’ variety

Autumn is such a festive time of the year. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and I enjoy seeing everyone going all out with their costumes. I’ve always loved to let my creativity go wild with the choices I could make. It’s the one day a year we can dress-up however we like, and not get judged for it.

With only two weeks until Halloween, I decided to venture out and spend the day in my favorite go-to Halloween costume. I put on my trusty polka dot dress and curled my hair, then walked around different areas of town, wondering how people would react when they saw me. In the beginning I didn’t really think anything was going to happen- it was going to be just another sunny day in Tallahassee, and I was going to head home that evening with some cute photos that I could post on Insta the next day.

I really didn’t think that my costume was so outlandish that people would stare, but they did. To add on to people staring, a lot of them stopped what they were doing just to analyze me. I couldn’t walk by a person without them turning their head and producing a slight head tilt as they wondered what on Earth I was trying to accomplish with my outfit.

I went to one of my favorite local coffee shops, whose vibe is pretty artsy, and I ended up getting the opposite effect from the people on the street. Walking in to the shop, I thought the many students who were studying and people who were having meetings were going to look up and stare in confusion or wonder, but no one really cared. Even when I went to the cash register, no one batted an eyelash.

Before I went home and dropped off my trusty photographer (my boyfriend, lets be real) I realized that I needed gas. Pulling into the gas station, I had already forgotten about my “costume” and went inside to pay. The cashier and the people inside gave me the same confused looks I received in the beginning of the day. I instantly rolled my eyes, paid, and filled up my tank. I guess I may have made myself into more of a spectacle, though, by having my boyfriend take pictures of me from the hood of my car, while I was posing with the gas pump in hand.

Dressing up two weeks early not only got me pumped for my favorite holiday, but showed me that at the end of the day, you are who you are, and you can be whoever you want to be any day, not just on October 31st.

Florida State University