Why we need to keep the statue of Francis Eppes

‘Tis better to learn from your past than to ignore it

Let’s make a couple of things clear. I am an African-American male at a predominately white institution. I attended public school like some of my peers and did in fact learn of slavery and the atrocities it entailed. I learned about the journeys and the horrible environment in which slaves were kept in on ships on their way to the “new world.”

Yes, Francis Eppes owned slaves. However, make no mistake, Francis Eppes does not exemplify that period, nor does his statue provoke the encouragement of that dark period in American history. Before we choose to tear down a part of our history, we need to know who Francis Eppes is, and what he did. Francis Eppes is dubbed the “Founder of Florida State University.” His statue was revealed to the world in January of 2002 in front of the Westcott Building. During the process of establishing the foundations of the school, he was a key component and spearheaded the efforts of making Florida State University a state recognized institution. He wanted to implement the ideals of his late grandfather, Thomas Jefferson, and provide a “sense of democracy” and reshape the campus.

There are parties who wish to tear this piece of history from Florida State University. A referendum has been put forth to a vote on whether the statue should be removed or stay in its rightful place on the grounds surrounding Westcott fountain. I am 300% for keeping the statue, and here’s why.

The world around us is evolving. Political correctness is becoming a rod of ridicule for those who aren’t sensitive of everyone and anyone’s feelings. While I believe there are things that have no space in common conversation, we cannot censor the world. We cannot simply remove things because they make us feel “uncomfortable.” The history of Francis Eppes does not define his contributions to this university, which are many. It is better to educate those on the history of the man and discuss it, rather than removing it from existence and never speaking of it again. This is not how we learn, how as a society, we grow.

If we were to follow the logic of why those who wish to remove it want to remove it, there would be a petition to remove the Washington monument next, and other important monuments that are a part of our history. Let’s educate people on the history of the man, his contributions to our university, and our society, instead of erasing a piece of our own history at Florida State.

Florida State University