An honest guide to Homecoming

So when’s the dance?

For most people, you probably didn’t even know college Homecoming was a thing until your freshman year. You probably wondered why there weren’t any dress up days on campus and you definitely thought twice about whether or not there was a dance the whole school went to. College Homecoming is a lot of things, but it’s definitely not those things.

FSU Homecoming is a tradition that continues to live on within the Seminole community. It is an time where school spirit is at an all time high and everyone is encouraged to get involved. FSU pride reigns supreme year round, but Homecoming is the perfect place to prove it.

Homecoming is filled with activities and events all week long and we’ve got the perfect survival guide to get you through it.

Free shit everywhere

Homecoming committee is all about getting people involved, but they know college kids won’t bat an eyelash if they can’t get something out of. Shirts, food, and nicknacks draw students in to events and if nothing else, you get a sweet long sleeve shirt out of it.

Skit Night is going to have you questioning why there are no theater majors in Greek life

Skit night is the night where organizations on campus put on little scenes related to FSU and the Homecoming. It’s a great place for students to get creative and have fun, but by the second bad lip syncing Jimbo Fisher, you’re going to start to question where all the talent really is. It seems as if maybe we’ve spent too much time at the clubs and not enough time watching SNL.

You never knew there was a group for “that”, too

Student Organizations are highly encouraged to get involved. The week as a whole is a competition for their organization, so people come out of no where and step up to compete. After going to one event, it will become quite clear there is literally a place for everyone on campus and you’ll probably be fangirling over a group you’ve never even heard of.

You can have fun without alcohol

Obviously a school sponsored event wouldn’t permit alcohol consumption, but the Hoco committee works really hard to prove you don’t need to be turnt to get lit. Just get high off of school spirit and drunk on Seminole love.

Warchant and PowWow might have you questioning your worth on campus

These are two of the biggest events of the week, and everyone and their (sometimes literally moms show up) come out to them. The Civic Center may not seem that big, but when a vast majority of the student body crams into it, you suddenly start to question your whole existence and role on campus.

You’re going to fall in love all over again

The whole point of Homecoming is to remember and celebrate the pride you have for your school. Going to one event or all events will remind you of the amazing place we all have the pleasure of calling home. Our relationship with college can sometimes be like an old married couple who are constantly fighting but love each at the end of the day, and Homecoming is that therapy session that ends with a second honey moon. You’re gonna fall head over heels for your school all over again.

Photo credit: Andrew Salinero

Florida State University